BeatleWear

knitting and the life I almost have around it

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

remembering to breathe

Hello ladies, hope everyone is recovering rapidly from Post Christmas Trauma (PCT). Thankyou for all the lovely comments - the christmas do was ok.

My mother set me up to not be friends with the Aunt this year - I introduced Sherpa to my cousin when they arrived and my Mum hissed (Too loudly, in the way that everyone in the room can hear) "AND your aunt, dont be rude!". My aunt was of course out of my line of vision when i started introducing but once she heard my mother hiss she assumed i was trying to ignore her and that was it for this year. sigh.
She also scored a hand-knit washcloth (Taph's lovely pattern here) in the secret santa swap game and got rid of it so quickly it almost unravelled. My brothers girlfriend finally ended up with it and she actually wanted it so thats ok. Told you my rellies didnt respect the handmade. My grandma LOVED the one i made for her, and that was before she twigged that i'd knit it.

Christmas day was lovely, if a little hectic. My parents gave me some desperately needed mixing bowls and a pie dish and the Erika Knight Classic book (GORGEOUS!).. and my brother gave me a sifter which i also really needed.
Sherpa gave me a lovely artists journal (a proper one), some water dispersable charcoal pencils, some cuticle cream, bath mitts and THIS:
His father and he have been working on it for weeks... its a warp board which will make dyeing self-striping yarn a little less painful... AND ITS A SHEEP! I'm still blown away! isnt he beautiful? the sheep is from a kids picture book, a counting one, and his name is Woolly. But Sherpa's Dad thinks his name should be Hank :) any suggestions?

Since the christmas knitting is over, i cast on a Komi Mitten. Jo gave me the book for christmas last year and i finally had the perfect yarn (gorgeous italian variegated wool from Othlon). I'm really enjoying it :) makes me feel very clever :p
And... i dyed a whole lot of laceweight to put on eBay tonight... and i'm bad. because i cant bear to part with this skein... maybe the yarn harlot snowdrop shawl? its called Blue Lagoon, and i will dye some more.. eventually. Here it is wound... ah, hoardiness thy name is Spider.

Anyway, I'm off to see a movie, will be listing more yarn on eBay tonight (If the connection holds. for some reason we cant stay online for decent lengths of time at the moment)

Happy christmas and new year to all :)

The Joyful
Ms Spider xo

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

  • At December 27, 2006 8:05 pm, Blogger Taphophile said…

    Spidey, I reckon your Aunt and my SIL are related (or possibly the same person). We all have at least one of these. Maybe we could make them all into one family and we'll choose people who appreciate handknits.

    Hank is just divine - clever Sherpa and Sherpa Daddy. Am in love with Blue Lagoon, and you definitely need to knit it so you can show punters what i looks like all knitted up. The mitten is pretty darn cute, too.

     
  • At December 27, 2006 8:05 pm, Blogger Taphophile said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At December 28, 2006 3:19 am, Blogger AR said…

    I have relatives like that! At least the person who got the cloth (beautiful pattern BTW) wanted it. :)

    I love your warp board sheep, and your mitten is gorgeous!

     
  • At December 29, 2006 9:42 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That warp Sheepie is wonderful,what a great gift!
    And that lace yarn is to die for...
    Next Chrissie,give the nasty ones a tin of bought biccies

     
  • At December 31, 2006 3:50 am, Blogger aykayem said…

    Whoever it was that said "blue and green should never be seen" had obviously never seen anything like that gorgeous hank of yarn! ... my guess is that they had also never seen the ocean, or trees against the sky, or gum trees ... or most of the blue/green yarn and fabric I have seen around the place ... LOL

    The sheep is cute too ... how about calling him "Mr. Hank Wooly esquire."?

    by the way ... green, blue and "egg yellow" look pretty good together too ... now that I have seen your "how to" for dying wool with food dye I just had to give it a go - I found a boring ball of off white wool while I was sorting out my sewing/etc room tonight, and those are the only 3 colours of food dye I could find in the pantry (except for black - but I decided to give that a miss for now ;-)

    It is now sitting in a kind of blob balanced on a ruler that is lying across a cardboard box, because I couldn't be bothered finding anywhere else to put/hang it)
    - I didn't do the tie it up in a hank thing - I wanted a blob where the colours just kind of end up wherever they end up as I crochet it (I am thinking of using it for a crochet beanie)
    Andrea,
    disorganised in Dunlop

     

Post a Comment

<< Home