BeatleWear

knitting and the life I almost have around it

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

happy gnu year

Ladies! Welcome to 2007! It is strange, no? I still catch myself writing 2002 on things...

Firstly, for my own records, some resolutions:

  • Get fitter (suddenly some of my clothes are very tight... this is disconcerting.)
  • Do my uni work when i get it.
  • try to take it easy with the random startitis fits - or at least learn some finishing stamina. (and for those loyal readers who just gasped and said i finish everything very quickly... the blog is the tip of the iceberg. you dont need to know everything i cast on....)
  • have a berloody housewarming party already! (may coincide with my birthday)
  • Be more social. I have gotten rusty. apart from sherpa and anyone who knits i really struggle to make an effort socially. i would like to excersize this muscle until i am comfortable chatting to strangers again (i always say the stupidest things!!!)
I think that covers it for now.

Now, to the interesting stuff.
I finished one mitten. It is beautiful. i love it. the floats are beautiful. the texture is beautiful. unfortunately there is a small problem...
my hand.
apparently my hands are in no way 'adult medium'. Sherpa who is in no way resistant to colour thinks it is pretty swish... but i dont want him to get killed in the street.

this raises a slight ethical problem for me. if you comment, please vote on this. If you are gifted yarn, are you only allowed to use said yarn on projects for yourself? or is it ok to knit a gift for someone else out of gifted yarn? Guidance will be appreciated.

Here is my 'Blue Lagoon' shawl. I decided against the yarn harlot shawl (i prefer top down shawls) and have instead cast on the Icarus shawl from Interweave Knits Summer 2006 (this is Jejune's mag, I'm sorry I've had it so long!). It's simple but it does chug along quite nicely. I cant wait til i get to the feather tip bits... drool. and the blocking. just magic.

That probably covers it for now.
Hope everyone had a lovely new years and all. hope to see everyone at SnB on thursday (i need my fix of sanity)

the knitty
Ms Spider

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • At January 02, 2007 12:02 pm, Blogger Taphophile said…

    The mitten is just gorgeous - pity about the size. It's not too girly, Sherpa would be ok in it, I'm sure.

    Hmm. Yarn/gift dilemma. On the one mitten it was a gift so it's yours to do with as you wish. On the other, a lot of thought probably went into the yarn gift and the giver probably expects you will like it so much you'd want to keep it forever.

    I think it depends on the amount of yarn. Is there enough to make something to keep and something to give?

     
  • At January 02, 2007 2:07 pm, Blogger AR said…

    Too bad about the mitten, it's so gorgeous. Maybe it'd fit me. hehe Just kidding.

    I think, unless the person who gave you the yarn says otherwise, like: "This is especially for you to knit for yourself", it would be ok to knit something for someone else. You still get enjoyment out of the gift yarn while knitting with it.

     
  • At January 02, 2007 3:48 pm, Blogger melissa said…

    I knitted Icarus last year .The stockingette part drags on a bit but once your into the feathers it blossoms out quickly .
    Its a good knit ..not so hard your brain gets twisted , but not so simple that you knit, eyes shut .
    nice colour by the way ..
    I also must admit to a discarded and much hated harlot shawl ...It's 3/4 finished and I loathe it ,have no intentions to ever look at it again ...apart from tinking it !!

     
  • At January 02, 2007 11:25 pm, Blogger Denise said…

    BEAUTIFUL mitten! Wow - stunning colours and pattern. Can you unravel and reknit in a size to suit yourself?

    Knowing the exact gifter in this case, I think she'd rather you used it for something for yourself ;)

    I think that gifters in general would hope that their choice of yarny goodness for their giftee would be used for something special for the giftee. That's my vote anyway :)

     
  • At January 08, 2007 10:41 pm, Blogger aykayem said…

    I guess I would have to vote that if they gave it to you then it is your yarn to do what you like? ... but if you know they wanted you to use it for yourself and/or you like it too much not to, and/or you don't want to offend them, then I think maybe you should use at least some of it for yourself (even if it is just a knitted hair tie or brooch or coin purse or something) ... but if you don't mind parting with the yarn once you have "used" it - then what I think you should do is to go and buy yourself some replacement yarn to make up for the fact that you used "your" yarn for someone else instead of having to buy it - not nescessarily something identical - just something that costs about the same as the money you saved by not having to buy the yarn you were given ... (that way you can have your yarn and knit it -;)

    Another way around the problem (kind of a way of doing both those options at once ;-) is - if the mitten you have knitted fits somebody special (maybe your partner, or the person who gave you the yarn?), then you could buy (or find in your stash) some more yarn - same type of yarn if possible, but maybe a different colour - and use that to knit the other mitten of the pair, and then knit another pair in a smaller (your) size using the 2 yarns for the 2 mittens - that way you and your larger handed friend will have a matching pair of odd pairs of mittens ... if that makes sense ...

    or ... you could keep them for yourself (without undoing them and making them smaller or anything) and use them to wear over the top of another pair of gloves/mittens when it gets really really cold ... ;-)

    Andrea,
    disorganised in Dunlop

     
  • At January 09, 2007 10:04 pm, Blogger My Five Sons said…

    I have some lovely lace weight that I want to do Icarus with but too many other things to finish first and I admit Im a bit daunted by pattern which will be dog eared before long just with me trying to fathom it,LOL
    Once I start I think it will be fine,I wish they would put more construction pictures ,I only know what end it starts by looking at your piccies!!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home