BeatleWear

knitting and the life I almost have around it

Thursday, October 04, 2007

something

Have i mentioned that i hate Uni? I do. It's pov. Right now i'm writing a 2000 word essay, analysing the key socio-cultural political issues explored within an Australian film. yup. I was going to do Lantana but i found it too depressing: i believe in marriage!
So, after checking it was ok, i'm doing Summer Heights High. Which is HILARIOUS. I dare anyone who has worked in a school to watch it and not find it funny. dare you. However, I am being reminded of an old quote i hold dear:

'Humour is like a frog: dissect it and it dies'
Mark Twain

Lets just say the essay are poo (just to illustrate how much it is hurting my ability to make sense as well). Binary thinking, heteronormativity, queer theory...

How about: it's just funny?
How about: kids are both bastards and sweethearts.
How about: no amount of thinking about human diversity will stop you from being a bigot if you really believe what you believe.
How about: interview every kid, teacher and parent i've ever dealt with and ask them if i respect and value diversity... in fact, ask them if it ever came up. Ask them if i was more concerned with the student's well-being and achievement than tip-toeing around their 'personal cultural fingerprint".

Ok, rant over. One term to go, 'Breathe, Spidey, breathe'.

Probably won't make it to SnB tonight. This essay is due tomorrow evening and i could knock it over in a couple of hours (if it wasnt so painful to write i need to take breaks) but unfortunately the next stage of my dental excavation is this morning and, as Monkey so gently reminds me, i tend to take a couple of days to recover form the injections. delicate flower that i am.

(lets pretend i have a picture of me drooling, half my face paralysed, passed out on the couch to illustrate Monkey's point shall we?)

I've finished the first Spider-Web Sock and am into the chart on the web sock.. naughty naughty. Have to have something to knit at the bullshite 'mini-conference' on friday: a whole day of new age academics wafting on about all this personal cultural identity crap... and then i get to write a report about it! wish you were me?

Peace out
Ms Spider xo

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

  • At October 04, 2007 9:29 am, Blogger TinkingBell said…

    Soooo lovely socks! I remember my first degree - write something in English then translate into Academese - yeuchhh!! My heart goes out to you - and for the dentist stuff!

     
  • At October 04, 2007 5:37 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am mortally afraid of spiders, but I love your sock. I is not creep along spidery, with those horrid legs and...Ohhh!!!I remember writing essays etc at Uni. I look back now and wonder what in the world I was writing?? I have been helping a friend with her essays and nothing has changed!!! Mind you, they have take home exams???!!! Good luck at the dentist!!!

     
  • At October 04, 2007 5:55 pm, Blogger Taphophile said…

    Sock!!!!!!!!!!!

     
  • At October 05, 2007 7:38 am, Blogger DrK said…

    roflmao, such cynicism in one so young is so very heartening!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home