BeatleWear

knitting and the life I almost have around it

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

horses warrant a day off?

not that i'm complaining, but it does seem to be a bit of a wank. especially as it's being called 'Community Wellbeing Day" or something rather than "Everyone calls in sick on Melbourne Cup Day anyway Day".

Nonetheless, it is a gloriously welcome day off. I have to say, working 5 days again has affected my ability to keep house. when i had two days off during the week when Monkey would not be home til 3pm.. i got so much more done. There's just no point cleaning around him, he splutters crumbs and all sorts of things and you cant really vacuum while he's playing on the computer. And it's weird, but i think that.. well. how to put this? most of the housework i do is pretty crucial to the upkeep of the house, our belongings, clothes, carpet.. etc. But it's not the sort of stuff that Monkey notices or thinks of (ie. cleaning loo, bath, vacuuming, mirrors, windows, folding and putting away clean clothes...). And somehow doing it while he's not here, even though i have to point it out to him, is much less irritating than doing it while he's here. Probably because he a) doesnt notice me all red in the face from vigorous scrubbing and THAT pisses me off or b) he DOES notice and can't understand why i'm bothering. This way around suits us both much better.

so i did some serious housework today and now i have fresh flowers and an aired house, clean dishes, no chip crumbs in the office or coffee rings on the tables. it's refreshing.

I have also been flirting with a few new projects since finishing my shawl. Firstly i cast on the Montego Bay scarf from Interweave Knits Summer 2007 using more of my own handspun silk. It's a lovely pattern, but i didnt have much yarn so i only cast on 33sts instead of 43 and i like the size it's turning out. It was a roughly sports weight 2ply from silk hankies.. and it's REALLY pretty. I have another ball in purple.. and i might have to do another. we'll see. i never used to get this into scarves ;)

I also cast on for the Seashell Shrug from Runway Knits by Berta Karapetyan. Yesterday. i think. yes. I decided that with that much 2x2 ribbing i really needed to cast on now if i wanted to wear it next autumn. it's a gorgeous pattern... and the styling in the book makes me want to go out and buy a new vampy lipstick. So good news all round really.

I was good (bad?) today and did no marking. everyone keeps telling me to do work for school only at school.. and i think this is very intelligent. I'm not getting paid as much as everyone else and i have to be around for a few 'available for relief' lines a week and i can do my work then. So far it's all going pretty well. I've had a few run-ins with a few of my kids but nothing i can't handle. It's amazing how quickly a 12 year old boy will miraculously understand why you find something offensive if you suggest they need sexual harrassment counselling...

Peace out
Ms Spider xo

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

  • At November 07, 2007 6:42 am, Blogger Bells said…

    I agree 100% on two points:

    the day off was a bit of wank (but one I wasn't going to turn down) and also, getting the boys out of the house so you can do housework is the only way to not want to drown them in a bucket of cleaning fluid. Of course, it gets them off the hook, but it's just better for all concerned.

     
  • At November 07, 2007 11:32 am, Blogger Michelle said…

    My boy is pretty good with the constant cleaning thing - dishes, kitchen, that sort of thing. But bathrooms and vacuuming and dusting he'd Rather Not Do.

    But who said I'd Rather Do It?

    So this year I got myself a cleaner, just once a fortnight for 3 hours. Best investment I've ever made.She does in 3 hours what takes me 5. That's 5 hours of my weekend I got back.

     
  • At November 07, 2007 12:10 pm, Blogger TinkingBell said…

    Hurrah for treasures (my cleaning lady is wonderful and although i race around tidying up so she doesn't think we're complete pigs - I do the day to day stuff and she does the weekly/fortnightly stuff) Yup the sexual harrassment stuff works for building worke4rs too! - BTW love the scarf and the shrug - mmmmm pretty!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home