BeatleWear

knitting and the life I almost have around it

Sunday, July 20, 2008

where's my gremlin?

This week I keep flashing back to times I've said truly stupid things. To that end, I really want a little gremlin to follow me around and jump up and stuff his fist in my mouth before I say the stupid thing that is threatening. Wouldn't that be nice? You know, before you ask the not-pregnant woman when she's due? Before you freak out new people by forgetting that not everyone considers anti-depressants a necessary evil? Before you say something narky about someone else's friend without realising? yeah, well, where was my gremlin this week?

I think my all time favourite (if that's the right word) stupid thing I've ever said was during a job trial at a little new age boutique place. I was there, there was another girl (i was about 17) and the older manager (probably in her early 30's). Manager woman was complaining about a man who kept asking her out and that she'd finally caved in and was going out with him tonight but didnt really want to. I suggested that she call him and say "sorry but I'm having rather a heavy period" (quote from Monty Python's The Meaning of Life). Cue blank yet slightly freaked out stares from both of them.
Of course, I wasn't as good at subtext back then. It was my gap year and I was out of the habit of spending time with other people and listening to their... stuff. Particularly women. As soon as it was halfway out of my mouth I realised that she wasnt really dreading going out with this guy, she was enjoying telling us she was being chased and worn down by his dedication to her. And of course, neither of them were Monty Python fans. Or probably ever admitted to menstruation.
Needless to say I didnt get the job.

I think I'm getting a little that way again with other adults. I deal with teenagers so much and while there is certainly a persona that I project, I do find that being very honest with my students works well for me. Most of my classes are gloriously... open. The kids say what they think without too much concern about recriminations.. in fact i think most of them know the one thing that will always piss me off is verbally attacking someone or their ideas in class.

trouble is, I get to this point where I forget to hold my cards close to my chest with other adults. If they are not immediately and obviously threatening to me (ie. a boss or manager type) I guess I say things that should probably only be said to close friends who will still love me even if it's a stupid thing to say. And be confident enough to say "Spidey, you're full of it".

So... I guess I'm saying I'm sorry if I've offended anyone recently. It's a strange assurance to make, I know, but if i truly was having a go at anyone... i would think it out carefully first because that's just my way. Chances are, if i said something dumb to you and you were offended... it's because I need a gremlin.

Now that's off my chest! hurrah!
I have no proper modelled shots of the Seashell Shrug but I intend to wear it to SnB this arvo so it will get a public airing.
I finished and felted my second pair of clogs. These are for Monkey and I used woolbale again. The orange didnt felt as densly as the brown, probably because they would have to bleach it first to get a dye that bright. Monkey is very pleased with them. He wasnt sure if he wanted a pair, so we agreed if he didnt like them they would be a birthday present for his Dad in a few months... but since they came out of the dryer (damp) he's had them on.
Also, I started the Flutter Sleeve Cardigan by Pam Allen in Moda Vera Paul. I think I must have been a bit over all the winter knits to gravitate towards something short-sleeved, cotton-y and drapey but that's ok. I'll be prepared for spring, and it's such a lovely colour. The yarn is going a long way too, this is only a third of the way through the second ball.
I also finished spinning some yarn I've had on the go since the Celebration of Wool day. I'm very pleased with the results;light 2ply merino, 50g, 225 metres. The fibre was originally dyed by Rachel Meek of Fibre Dyeversity (one of my biggest girl crushes ever.... this woman has forgotten more about colour than I will ever know).

Back to school tomorrow, so of course I've been wrestling with a headache for a few days. hopefully an afternoon of friends, knitting and hot beverages with soothe my troubled soul ;)

I leave you with an older pic of the buns. I swear they are both completely mad.

Peace out
Ms Spider xo

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

  • At July 20, 2008 10:51 am, Blogger Michelle said…

    I suffer from classic foot in mouth, I usually find it's better to think things through first before suffering verbal diarrhea. Saves having to apologise after the fact as well. Uaully though I just try not to talk to people ;-)

    Bet the Bendigo Bank manager wished he had thought things through the other week when he failed to listen to me going on about "quitting my job" "took a package" "getting another job in 3 months" and then asked when my baby was due. Turd. I'm so writing a letter.

    Anyway, great slippers and can't wait to see the shrug this arvo.

     
  • At July 20, 2008 11:30 am, Blogger m1k1 said…

    When you find that gremlin supplier, please order one for me. It's probably best that I've become a hermit, but occasionally I do have to venture out of the cave, and sure enough, every time....

     
  • At July 20, 2008 11:37 am, Blogger Rachel said…

    We all do this from time to time. I might make up some little cards with this post's URL on it and when I realise I've said something I shouldn't I can give them this card and then they'll realise that it was one of those moments and they'll instantly think of the last time they did it to someone else!

    By the way, Spidey, at the risk of sounding like a crawler, I love everything you knit. How did you get such good taste?

     
  • At July 20, 2008 2:12 pm, Blogger Trudi said…

    Are you a Sagittarius by any chance? I am and I display the known trait of foot in mouth disease on a regular basis.

    I will miss the shrug this arvo, still recovering from a being at work most of Thursday night, not going to bed till 1am last night is not helping much. If I can get organised I plan to pull out the sewing machine this arvo and work on a quilt...if the sewing machine still works, lol.

     
  • At July 21, 2008 9:52 am, Blogger Olivia said…

    I find myself rehearsing what I should have said after the fact... (for witty comebacks - l'esprit d'escalier - as well as foot-in-mouth incidents.) Pointless waste of energy but I can't help it.

     
  • At July 24, 2008 2:35 pm, Blogger Bells said…

    i guess that's part of growing up. You learn to edit and think through the implications of what you say.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home