BeatleWear

knitting and the life I almost have around it

Sunday, March 12, 2006

up the river in egypt without a paddle

this has been an interesting week to say the least.
  1. i think i may be developing rsi. pain in my arm and shoulder and neck, tingling, migraines.. its all very fun i must say. so basically i havent been knitting this week. only a Knitter will understand how gut-wrenching that sentence is.
  2. one of my tutors thinks i am 5 years old. she is a primary school teacher taking a unit on behaviour management of high school students. call me crazy, call me wild and outrageous but i dont think I-Cans will work for anyone over the age of, say, 7. (an I-Can is a can on every students desk. once a week you get them to write something they can do on a piece of paper and put it in the can. then when you think they need encouragement you shake the can and say "look at all the things you can do! i bet you can do this too!"). i personally am somewhat ticked off to be taught by someone who's catch-phrase is "you might EVEN be able to use this for 7 graders!"
  3. The Uni is messing me around and it looks as though i will have to do some courses off campus because i cant do history/SOSE at UC. this is a collosal pain in the rear and is made more frustrating because my course convener wants me to start a unit three weeks into the semester. Grand!
  4. I have mysteriously lost 5kg. some of you may not think this is a bad thing, but to lose that much weight by accident scares the pants off me (anyone who just wondered if my pants maybe weighed 5kgs and that explains it SHHH).
  5. Insomnia
  6. did i mention that i cant really knit? and i may not be able to for a long time? need i really add to this?
  7. oh yes, i bought some lantern moon needles. and they arrived on thursday. and i knit about, oh, 4 rows. dont cry for me, im already dead.

so yes. bad week and no signs of light at the end of the tunnel. i am currently attempting to figure out some new diversion tactics that do not involve knitting.

  • C*****t. namely a little bolero jacket. like i say alot, i hate crochet but at least im not so aware that im not knitting. and the pattern is cute so its not all bad. and... well as ToD so brilliantly said to me the other day, if i do it while i recover i might get really good at it too... sorry i didnt really twig on that one at the time mate, im a bit distracted.
  • cross stitch.
  • reading. nothing fun though :( just text books and king lear. sigh.
  • cleaning the room. i was considering a photo but i think that would be too shameful for words. just imagine the worst childs bedroom you have ever seen, add approximately 75kg of yarn and fibre and 3,000 books and then shake well. leave to gather dust.
  • finish these flipping dresses (the missing 5kg has messed around with my sizing grrr)
  • bake cookies and then eat them (5kg of cookies)

so excuse me, no pretty pictures for awhile. im going to the dr soon and will let you all know what he says... i dont know if i can handle uni stress if i cant knit!!!

anyone with something funny please tell me, i need a giggle.

ciao

8 Comments:

  • At March 12, 2006 9:27 pm, Blogger Daisy said…

    Oh well, we discovered that my Mum's underfloor bathroom heating was playing havoc with the scales - weigh yourself in the morning and again in the afternoon and you weigh dramatically more later on! Weird. Scales can be strange like that, so it might be the scales having a blip, not you!
    And my flat's FILTHY, so don't worry about it! ;-)

     
  • At March 12, 2006 10:37 pm, Blogger Taphophile said…

    I reckon developing RSI symptoms is a REALLY drastic step to preserving your pristine Lantern Moon needles. ;)

    (((hugs)))

     
  • At March 12, 2006 10:57 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The French Film Fest. starts at Electric Shaddows on the 16th... I think we should go one night.

    *Gypsy*

     
  • At March 12, 2006 11:27 pm, Blogger Denise said…

    I think your tutor needs to be slapped on the wrist (HARD) and make to stand in the corner. For a week, or thirty-seven. Or better yet - let's put HER into a class of rabid Year 7s, and give her nothing more than an I CAN to gain their respect.

    The Lantern Moon needles sound beautiful - and they're just waiting for you :) Hope your doctor can shed some light on the sudden weight loss (I know I'd love to do that, but you're right, it's not a healthy sign for anyone).

    If you want to talk RSI, just email me. Been there, still doing it :/

    Wishing you sweet knitting dreams
    xxoo

     
  • At March 13, 2006 3:38 am, Blogger mumblingmonkey said…

    Aww spidey, sorry to hear things aren't treating you nicely. I was thinking about you this morning, wondering how you were.

    If you cannot knit, can you at least spin? I went through a long period of muscle strain where knitting was just too much, and so I was down to maybe 15 min a day at best. I probably watched a lot of movies. But it is bizarre to sit still and not do anything with the hands.

     
  • At March 13, 2006 7:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Not such a happy spidey :-( Still, I bet my place is messier than Daisy's.

    I once had a teacher colleague (who had only taught in one little crammer college - for 18 year-olds desperate to improve their grades so they could get into med or vet school - so not your typical students). He wrote a book explaining how he had discovered the secret of good teaching. The student must want to learn.

    Slaps forehead in surprise - now why didn't I think of that!!! And exactly _how_ does that help last period on a Friday with a bunch of bottom set 13-year-olds?

    There are _sooooo_ many idiots out there teaching how to teach - the old adage "those who can't, teach" seems to apply just as much to teaching as to anything else.

    Sounds like you need serious quantities of chocolate...

     
  • At March 13, 2006 9:06 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I hope your week gets better! We all have times like those and they're NOT FUN AT ALL. (I had one of them myself last week.) Really, they don't last. Hang in there!

     
  • At March 13, 2006 11:44 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    in refrence to what anne said, there is more to the saying (both parents are teachers) "those who cant do, teach. those who cant teach, teach teachers".

    and something funny,

    There was a cop on his horse waiting to cross the road when a little boy on his new shiny bike stopped beside him.
    ''Nice bike,'' the cop said, ''did Santa bring it to you?''

    ''Yep,'' the little boy said, ''he sure did!''

    The cop looked at the bike and while handing the boy a $20 ticket he said, ''Next year, tell Santa to put a license plate on the back of it.''

    To go along with the cop, the little boy said, ''Nice horse you got there sir, did Santa bring it to you?'' ''Yes, He sure did,'' said the cop.

    The little boy looked up at the cop and said, ''Next year tell Santa to put the dick underneath the horse instead of on top.''

     

Post a Comment

<< Home