BeatleWear

knitting and the life I almost have around it

Monday, February 13, 2006

addictions

lets talk about socks baby, lets talk about you and me, lets talk about all the good things and the bad things that can be.
i dont actually know why this happened to me. anyone who has been following this blog since day one will see a distinct prior preoccupation with sweaters. cardigans. wraps, jackets.. the occasional hat. but socks? when??
the very blue day blue berry dye socks may have been the beginning of the end for this spider. something in me snapped.
i am now completely obsessed with sock yarn. i am a big girl and i can admit it. self-striping is like music to my ears. i am accumulating it at an alarming rate and in 10 minutes i will have three pairs on the go (one is very near completion and there are no real due dates so this isnt TOO bad.. but still! thank dog for yarn harloting theories!)

The first thing that happened last week was i had birthday money and went to cassidy's with irene, liz and ToD. my spoils of war were quite good i thought. the sirdar is driving me batty, i am not worthy of it. it is too beautiful for words, and though i intended it for my fathers feet... i dont know if i can bring myself to do it. i may stick to 8-ply for him... im so bad :(

i also rescued this gorgeous hand-dyed mohair from its plastic prison ($10 people, you cant tell me you wouldnt have done the same). It does not know what it wishes to be. I am not worthy of it either and this may become a felted blob from much loving and little knitting.
the other thing that happened was we had a sort of mini-snb on sunday at taphophiles house. Oh. My. Guiness. So. Much. Fun. i brought most of my 4ply bendigo white wool and some orange villawool and we dyed sock yarn (ahem, yes i DID need more actually... hey look over there!). we read aloud from yarn harlot and various other hilarious books. we ate lots of delicious food and grew rotund and jolly. we knit!! it was the best ever :) thanks so much taph!

this yarn is called 'Splice' and wants to be the magknits Jaywalker socks. i dyed it with two shades of green and will hopefully get stripes of each... subtle but still fresh and clear. i think it smells a bit like fresh cut rose leaves... but that could be a vinegar induced olfactory hallucination. the fact that i feel the need to smell my yarn could be a tell-tale sign...

and then this morning i awoke breathless with excitement at the prospect of my amazon books arriving, and was instead greeted by another self-gift (that had almost slipped from my memory and was therefor a pleasant suprise). sadly the books did not arrive on a conveniently lazy and house-ridden day off, but i am clearly abundant with karma-yarn and should just count my blessings (and invest in a better storage solution).
so tell me... do i need a therapist or just a few more sets of 2.25mm dpns?

6 Comments:

  • At February 14, 2006 2:24 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Glad to know I'm not the only yarn-sniffer. I mean, how can anyone not sniff yarn...?

     
  • At February 14, 2006 5:26 am, Blogger Spinningsue said…

    More sets of dpns.

    Knitting is therapy after all...

     
  • At February 14, 2006 8:19 am, Blogger Denise said…

    Definitely more DPNs, no doubt about it! And one of those cute little wool belt bag things, so you can knit standing up... No, we're not pushers, we're 'enablers' ;)

    I've started knitting up my gorgeous tropical sock yarn already, using my 2mm bamboo DPNs which are SO beautiful to use... thank you again for your generous sharing of sock wool - the ultimate sacrifice!

     
  • At February 14, 2006 4:14 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i followed the whole addiction allegory, including the needle-sharing allusion (brings a different meaning to the phrase 'arm-holes' for one), but sniffing yarn? whats next? you guys start cutting up magic knitting mushrooms (they are so totally real things - http://wwww.shop.com/product/Jumbo_Knitting_Mushroom/11204353.htm)
    to make pizza, or doing LSD (lovely sock designs) by yourself out the back at parties? and thats not even taking the whole state of "knitting ecstasy" thing into account....

     
  • At February 14, 2006 4:17 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    and remember, kids! real knitters don't do rugs...

     
  • At February 15, 2006 11:48 am, Blogger Taphophile said…

    Of course sniffing yarn is perfectly normal.

    My neighbours heard us on Sunday and wanted to know what drugs we were on!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home