BeatleWear

knitting and the life I almost have around it

Thursday, January 26, 2006

finishing touch


Hurrah! the ankle socks of doom are completed and currently warming my toes. I had quite alot of fun with them, but juggling three balls is complicated (ask anyone :p).
Excuse the odd angles of the photos (the one of both my feet looks like i dont have any ankles at all) but taking photos of your own feet is a complicated business. and clearly i have outed myself for leaving my jewellery on the lounge again...
Also, i know i said i would post a pattern, but really its very simple. Just choose your favourite sock pattern but cast on the amount of stitches called for after the leg decreases. My stripes go 7 rounds, 2, 3, 5, 4, 6, and the three colours stay in the same order the whole way. I jiggered it so i would get the ribbing in A, the heel in B and the toe in C. The stripes would probably look much better if i'd used white instead of one of the blues, but i do like the way the pink creeps up on you.


So, having had one triumph, i quickly cast on some of the yarn i dyed after christmas (those of you wondering how the dress is going, see the point about being a procrastinator in the previous post). I was inspired to choose the red and yellow because Cathy's looked so good. I was a tad worried it would pool, but im getting definite stripes with two rows of red one row of yellow at the back and two rows of yellow one row of red at the front. quite alot like tiger stripes in fact :)
(Taphophile, if you find your tiger yarn pooling frog it and i'll bring you a new ball on thursday. i dyed that stuff on the so 1/4 of a metre is each colour, but i'm going to try some 1/2 metre lots. Your poor ankle might end up orange on one side and black on the other :p).


And my parents and brother are home, very grateful for hydrated garden and still alive animals. As a thankyou for the early morning cash-call my parents brought me some 4ply wool from Bendigo Woollen Mill (did i mention they called from Bendigo? mhuah ha ha ha ha ha haaa). So now i can try out lots more sock dye methods. The big balls are 200g and the other ones are probably 25g (apparently they were on sale and i have clearly trained the olds well. actually, they very subtley asked what ply and colour would be of the most use to me, but they remembered, which is a big part of the Happy Spider Yarn Gatherer Training Program TM).

And, having had money returned to my account, i bought the books i wanted on Amazon.com last night. The Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook, The Whole Craft of Spinning, Alterknits and Spin It. Yes ladies, when they arrive they will all taken a voyage to SnB to get fondled and drooled over. Tis a birthday present to myself as many of my friends and the entirety of my family said "we are -not- getting you anything knitting related!" and anyway, the sock book at least is a MUST have for me. go look inside and say it isnt so!

i think that might be the gist of it. a certain someone has yet to ok a photo of their artistic genius (and did i mention the socks i made him for christmas were a starring part of his costume??? i NEED to put a pic up boyo!) so as yet not even any satanic glares are present. and a little message for everyone enhancing my heart attack the other day? let me just say "he ain't heavy, he's my brother". ok?

anywho, i'm off to try to negotiate how im going to do hair and make-up (my boss who use to do make-up artistry gave me advice about false eyelashes and now i'm scared.) pertinent readers will be saying "yes but do you have anything to wear with your make-up and hair? and i say to you, the bodice - she is completed. It looks hot. the skirt is mostly completed (there was a slight disagreement with the tension on Mr Stitchy - resulting in us both becoming too tense ha ha - and so i have set it aside for now). Tonight or tomorrow evening i will stick the whole thing together and have a heart attack because it makes me look like a pregnant hippo (if you expect the worst you are always prepared and often get a pleasant suprise).

Anyone who hasnt RSVPd i hope you appreciate you are giving me the heebie-jeebies and that i am assuming you dont expect there to be any fluid refreshment for you. jus' sayin'. (you know you're supposed to RSVP if you're not coming too, right? is this a huge societal flaw or what?)

Stoke me a clipper, i'll be back for christmas.

6 Comments:

  • At January 26, 2006 1:58 pm, Blogger Laura.Y said…

    Always glad to know you better dearie..:) Cute socks. Do show how you ply and dye your new wool stash when you get to it yea!

     
  • At January 26, 2006 2:16 pm, Blogger Denise said…

    The socks are brilliant - love those stripes! Good luck with getting The Dress ready in time - don't you love panic sewing at the last minute?

    Those books all look like ESSENTIAL books, so of course you had to buy them. Would anyone think otherwise?

    Have posted my "Tagged" thing too... but I don't know anyone else to tag in return, so it's probably stopping there for me, sadly.

    See you on Saturday night! Othlon and BFJ are looking forward to it very much :)

     
  • At January 26, 2006 8:31 pm, Blogger My Five Sons said…

    Love the socks, and lucky you with Bendigo wool! I have done the tag thingy too and listed some people, hopefully they will keep going!Have fun wearing the Dress!!!!!!

     
  • At January 26, 2006 9:35 pm, Blogger Taphophile said…

    Yay! Socks completed, socks started - you did it in the right order :)

    Thanks for the tiger stripe offer. They will be the next pair of socks cast on, but as I'm am staring at the space where the heel will be once I get over my fear of turning the heel, of my first ever sock, it may take a while.

     
  • At January 28, 2006 5:04 pm, Blogger mumblingmonkey said…

    Happy birthday spidey. :) All the best.

     
  • At January 29, 2006 10:32 pm, Blogger Susan said…

    The socks are great, as is the dyeing effort - always a sucker for red and orange.

    Like your training program - you should patent it and do train the trainer sessions! I am sure there is a market for this.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home