BeatleWear

knitting and the life I almost have around it

Thursday, January 19, 2006

the new rules

ok people. i have made a few decisions and need to tell you all so you keep on me and tell me off when i dont stick to them. We could look at these a new years resolutions. we probably should. But i'm just going to call them the rules, because i never follow resolutions (except the "take more baths", "paint toenails occasionally" variety).

The Rules (with new subclauses) :

  1. Thou shalt not cast on another project until one is completed (this makes the limit of projects.. er... 8?) SUBCLAUSE: Ideally this shall consist of no more than 5 major items (jumpers and shawls) and no fewer than 2 minor items. This was there is an item for every situation.
  2. If thou finisheth a pair of socks, thou shalt not cast on a sweater. An accessory down is an opening for another accessory. Shawls/big scarves (such as clapotis) count as sweaters.
  3. A project is not finished until it is a) seamed up, b) ends woven in and c) blocked if it needs it. If you seam it cruddily, seam it again. so there. SUBCLAUSE: If something needs frogging, it counts as current as long as it is on the needles. You must deal with something one way or another before you can start something new. Otherwise everyone perishes in the avalanche of bad decisions.
  4. When knitting a sweater, each piece does not count as an item down. Thou may say "when i finish this sleave, i'll knit those socks again" but no new item may be started.
  5. Thou may reserve yarn (and purchase it) in a waiting list for new projects. No swatching until a previous item is finished. SUBCLAUSE: referring to bag of yarn as 'my new sweater' is a tad crazy.
  6. Spinning shalt not take the place of knitting, and thou shalt discover a way of sitting that doesnt freeze thou shoulder. (thou shalt lose the fear of knitting handspun, but only once something is finished). SUBCLAUSE: this is not an excuse to stop spinning.

My socks and scarf do not count because i had far too many things on the go and am now knitting a zhivago wrap jacket (like my golden oats one) for BFG's sister in law Sophie. I like the yarn and the colour but need to behave or i'll end up shelving it because i wont get to wear it at the end (and having knit it once before, there is no mystery left. Anyone who just wondered if i ever intend to get married, bite your tongue! i can flirt with the odd pair of socks if i like!!!)

ToD, shutup about the random use of thou and you. and for the last time, my room does not smell like yarn!!!!!! (also, break a leg, your play will be brilliant)

so please, keep an eye on me. and i'll try to be good and keep accurate records of what im knitting in my side-bar (there are quite a few undisclosed currently).

thanking you in advance

the wicked Ms Spider

11 Comments:

  • At January 19, 2006 3:36 pm, Blogger mumblingmonkey said…

    Yes Ma'am! 8 sounds like a good number of projects. Maybe I should resolve to cut my number of WIPs down to about that. (I'm probably in the range of about 20, but many are more properly classed zombies - the undead projects!!)

    thou art an inspiration, and inspiring is done by thee...

     
  • At January 19, 2006 4:30 pm, Blogger Taphophile said…

    What's the rule about projects that are a bit complete but probably will never be complete and should be unravelled? Do they count as OTN, or can I, sorry you, just discount them?

    Also, there should be a rider in there somewhere about HAVING to start a new project because all other projects are at a difficult to transport to SnB, say and you need a mindless project, like socks or a beanie, to take with you.

     
  • At January 19, 2006 5:02 pm, Blogger My Five Sons said…

    I hide mine in the cupboard and pretend I can't find them............now I can start on that hand spun pink stuff that has hung over the door for the last week....
    It was 46' yesterday and I was out in it....
    does that mean I can treat myself to a new project?
    Oh bugger it, 'PINKY' here I come.....

     
  • At January 19, 2006 5:50 pm, Blogger happyspider said…

    ok, check the subclauses taphophile. does this cover it?

     
  • At January 19, 2006 9:08 pm, Blogger Susan said…

    these are very good rules - I hadn't thought of claiming the pieces of a jumper as seperate projects - tricky! Have you left yourself a back door work around?

     
  • At January 19, 2006 11:31 pm, Blogger おにぎり said…

    hehehehehehe. :p

     
  • At January 20, 2006 7:03 pm, Blogger the stripey tiger said…

    Your socks look fab - I will knit some socks one day - Your rules could apply to me this year al though I havent written them down - especially the bits about not being afraid of hand spun and swatching counts as on the needles - (damn!!) Thanks for the kind comments on my quilt and my ornaments. See you on a fortnight! :-) Stripey

     
  • At January 20, 2006 7:03 pm, Blogger the stripey tiger said…

    Your socks look fab - I will knit some socks one day - Your rules could apply to me this year al though I havent written them down - especially the bits about not being afraid of hand spun and swatching counts as on the needles - (damn!!) Thanks for the kind comments on my quilt and my ornaments. See you on a fortnight! :-) Stripey

     
  • At January 20, 2006 9:44 pm, Blogger Taphophile said…

    You are a hard woman, Spidey. I'm gonna have to work harder to get around this one.

     
  • At January 22, 2006 3:18 pm, Blogger Denise said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At January 22, 2006 3:18 pm, Blogger Denise said…

    Rules - Knitting - Rules - Knitting? Jejune looks around in a confused daze.... does ... not ... compute ...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home