BeatleWear

knitting and the life I almost have around it

Friday, December 30, 2005

addictive personality




ok, as i promised
Daisy (who is now knee-deep in snow), here is christmas time in Australia. this is my back garden (ignore washing line) and the sky above it at 11am this morning, at which time it was already 32 degress celsius. Tomorrow is going to be 40! happy new year indeed!


Stitch n Bitch was yesterday, and it was brilliant! Irene came and learnt to knit (y
ou can see her wonderful progress here!), Jejune and her dotter were knitting voodoo wrist warmers and scarves respectively, Taphophile was turning skeins into balls and i spun all my nicely carded fibre into yarn! a good day was had by all, and we are now going to double the number of meetings we have since its so fun!

here are the results of a day at the wheel, basking in the sunshine (they were there for three seconds and were SO HOT when i picked them up again.)



i then plyed the two bobbins into skeins which are here. I am so proud. it's lucky i like knitting squigly thick-n-thin yarn because this way i can pretend its intentional! The caramel colour is the alpaca i bought in Tilba Tilba and is a mixture of 'Bethany' and 'Truffles' plyed with my trusty merino 3-ply, about 52 metres. The dark brown is also Tilba alpaca, "Bugalugs" plyed with brown sewing thread, 76 metres. The blue is some beautiful mohair that i accidently bought on christmas eve, plyed with blue sewing thread, 60 metres. SO IN LOVE! the mohair is absolutely divine... there are no words. i dont even care there is the odd (read: thousands) grass seed in it, this skein was made for strokin'. Bugalugs is also utterly gorgeous... is anyone else seeing that colour? (drools on self)

Also, just because i Really Needed some more sock yarn to tempt me (i have SSK in a
Big Way at the moment, stupid ankle socks) i striped the merino bambino i got for christmas today. i just used food dye as described in Yarn magazine and it worked really well! pretty vinegar intensive process though. the skein on the left is a deep fuschia and peachy-yellow (not as primary as it looks here), the middle skein is patchy purple blue and pink (may need overdyeing, im not sure about the white bits) and the skein on the right is some of the hideous orange villawool being turned into stripey tiger socks (thanks Bea, great idea, i bow to your superior knowledge of wool)!

Going coastal tomorrow with the BFG for New Years, hope everyone has a great night, i may have some resoltions eventually (but i warn you, my resolutions tend to be self-benificial types)

ciao
Happy Spider
(Now with a spin in my tail :p)

5 Comments:

  • At December 31, 2005 2:54 am, Blogger mumblingmonkey said…

    do spiders have tails?? hmm

    you are so creative. and i love how everything has turned out. good for you!!

    i accidentally buy yarn too. you should see my closet. and i have ... should i admit this? THREE yarn orders coming to me in the mail.

     
  • At December 31, 2005 8:22 pm, Blogger My Five Sons said…

    Hello,I just found your blog and am glad someone else is into yarns like me(and a heap of other girls I've found).
    My new project in the next month(I hope) is the Yarn Mags Dye methods, so pleased to find someone who has tried it.I am trying to be good and pay off a fair bit of Xmas debt( five sons including a semi pro BMXer,reckon they had a properous day,,,,hmmmp I had to lead the DH into shop and show him the little something I liked ,but a gift voucher to my fav if only woool shop in Kalgoorlie/boulder would have been fantastic....but I sneaked some Freedom Cotton onto credit card to make up shhhhhhh)
    first before I indulge my stash building!
    Cathy
    myfivesons@blogspot.com

     
  • At December 31, 2005 9:01 pm, Blogger Daisy said…

    Oooh, look at that blue sky! Actually the snow is thawing here now and the temp is above freezing! Woo hoo! Lots of brown icky sludge everywhere instead. A good excuse to stay inside and knit.
    I am only too aware of how easy it is to accidentally buy yarn...

     
  • At January 01, 2006 3:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Love the dye colors. The skein on the left looks like fire!

     
  • At January 02, 2006 9:10 pm, Blogger Taphophile said…

    Oh, you plied the blue merino - it's fantastic! Like clouds. Love the hand dyed wool.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home