BeatleWear

knitting and the life I almost have around it

Sunday, December 18, 2005

in brief



Well, celebrate with me! this is most of my christmas knitting complete! Still have the c*****t scarf and the cashmere scarf for my mum... but its pretty long as is, so i can just cast off when i get sick of it (though it would be nice to finish the ball...). and, jejune, i do use crochet for edgings and things as well. and i plan to make a round rag rug someday. the evilness of crochet is possibly directly linked to how bad i am at it, and how bad it looks in sweater form (honestly, did people in the 1970's care nothing for drape???).

Wheel update: currently clamped with the glue my builder uncle swears by, and so far appears to not have wiggly spokes. However, the wheel does nto spin smoothly... i think though for all beginner intents and purpose i can deal.

the apologies of the stinky brother are less than abject (ranging from "it was an accident" to "well, nothing i can do so... yeah"). It would be fair to say the men in my family are not good at the big S word (just like our esteemed PM). i can also assure you that it is 99.99% likely that my brother has not only not bought my christmas present yet but also not thought about it yet. i have been trying to get 'say it with flowers' changed to 'say it with yarn' but in retrospect, considering how often i have been given flowers in my life (2.5), this may not be completely helpful to my cause.

Day off tomorrow and am hopefully going to go see Narnia, as well as have a facial in the afternoon (did i mention i have 12 completely stunning cousins i will be subjected to on christmas eve?). OOh and i have a stupid thing my boss said to share. He took his son to see Narnia, and when i asked him how it was he said "you can tell it was the same director as lord of the rings, the way he put the archer character in there." I did try to explain the history of the books and may have used the words "classic literature" and possibly "the director isnt the same as the writer". Definately used the words "integral to the story, always has been" but he was undetered. he is the only person i know who doesnt know 'the lion, the witch and the wardrobe' is a book... even after he's been told several (thousand) times.

and my parents wonder why working all week makes me stressed... stupidity is SO exhausting.

4 Comments:

  • At December 18, 2005 11:52 pm, Blogger Daisy said…

    oooh, have you made a rag rug before? I'm going on a one day class thing to learn how to make on in January!

    Just cast the scarf off, that's what I did in the end - then it's all finished!

     
  • At December 19, 2005 4:51 am, Blogger mumblingmonkey said…

    I agree, crochet must be used only selectively for garments. (I have never seen a crocheted sweater that I like.)

    Narnia is fabulous.

    Sometime you will have to explain the .5th time you received flowers.

     
  • At December 19, 2005 1:43 pm, Blogger Taphophile said…

    Socks look fantastic. Congratulations. :)

    Your boss does sound like a complete ignoramus, not to mention an insensitve slave driver. I think it's part of the generic job description for bosses.;)

     
  • At December 19, 2005 3:36 pm, Blogger Denise said…

    Wow, your boss is amazing(ly good entertainment value)... sheesh.

    As a REAL archer, I can say with some experience that the archers in LOTR were making it up somewhat... but with a cute elf like Legolas, we forgive him (Well, us FEMALE archers do ;)

    Nothing beats c*****t for nice lacy edgings, too fiddly in knitting... but let us speak of this no more. Cast off your scarf, and relax in the knowledge that no-one else's gifts will be anywhere NEAR as lovely as the ones you're giving.

    Brilliant socks, too :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home