BeatleWear

knitting and the life I almost have around it

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

rule bending

Reading Yarn Harlot, recently, I came across an ingenius concept: socks don't count as current projects! here.

Clearly, for my 4-ply-addicted self this is simply Brilliant. In fact, she has several pairs on the go at any one time, one for the computer, one for her handbag, etc. (seriously, this woman is skilled at denial).


I still think more than three pairs is marching down the road towards the house with the padded bedrooms, and leads to mismatched pairings anyway. But... yes, three is good.


Particularly as I got the current Creative Knitting in the mail yesterday and there is a truly scrumptious pair of cable rib socks... (swoon!). It also indicates to me that I must swiftly hunt down this rainbow colourway of Opal. Divine or what? (I think Ashford Australia sells Opal... Hello Mr Visa-Card).

Just finished sock one of my Corporate Giant Socks (so named because I realised halfway through that the colours are the same as McDonalds, eck. It's actually not THAT bad, but the name sort of stuck in my mind. That and Globalism.). They have been somewhat delayed by Jamal's cross stitch (is it just me or do all the little chart symbol thingies look exactly the same as all the other little chart symbol thingies?). I'm enjoying it, though it has made me realised I'm alot better at knitting than I used to be - lots of things I do without even thinking ab
out that drive you crazy when you first start. Speaking of which, go check out Irene who has finished two (2) count 'em beanies!!! YAY! And she's started... MITTENS!!! I HAVE HER NOW MHUAH HA HA HA HAA!

Have decided to hold off on dyeing my Bendigo 4-ply until my sock book comes, because i want to have a good read up on it first. And lets face it, I have plenty of sock yarn to go on with :p. I will try to do the rest of the orange Villawool by thursay evening though, because i need the room quite frankly, and would you say no to tiger sock yarn? I thought as much.

SnB tomorrow night - can't wait! Thank Dog I have actually finished a few things, i felt pretty silly last time ( I just keep accumulating yarn and books and mags.... where's the knitting?).

And I turn 21 in 2 days, which is a Very Strange Thing TM. I managed to get the day off work which is a huge relief (for any non-australian readers, it was 35 degrees celsius today and my work is without A/C). But... 21. so many things i havent done that i ought to have. I still don't have my P plates (or my L's anymore). I've never tried anything more adventurous than alcohol, and i've never been ill on the stuff (not that i ought to have been, but it seems to be a right of passage). BFG is my 3rd boyfriend... and also the third boy I ever kissed. I am SUCH a GEEK.

I guess I sort of worry that in 10 years or so i'll be settled down with a real job and kiddies (and a bloke i guess) and will suddenly realise i had no youth and go off and get crazy on LSD (coincidently, that's what my boss calls Liquid Crystal Display TV's). Ok, so I'm not VERY worried, but I'm nearly 21 and i can count the number of times i have gone clubbing on my fingers (and i don't need all ten). Aren't these supposed to be the Wild Years?

Pass the Patonyle, Beryl, and pop the kettle on, that's a love.

9 Comments:

  • At February 01, 2006 9:36 pm, Blogger Taphophile said…

    Socks don't count as projects, excellent, will go cast on some other stuff.

    21, welcome to middle age.;P Let me just say as someone who's reached another serious milestone recently - your wild times are whenever you want and always. Also, I did a lot of clubbing and more than alcohol in my 20s, and I missed a lot of knitting time.

    Now, about that tiger stripe sock yarn....

     
  • At February 01, 2006 11:59 pm, Blogger おにぎり said…

    hehe, guess we'll have to take you out clubbing one time before i'm off to Japan then :D

     
  • At February 02, 2006 1:26 am, Blogger mumblingmonkey said…

    hmm... could it be that life is crazy enough without you adding to it? ;) Not everyone goes wild, and not everyone who is calm and reasonable in their youth goes on to lead a stodgy life!! But by all means, go on an adventure if you feel the need.

     
  • At February 02, 2006 4:31 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I wish I knew how to knit when I was your age. And the clubbing? It'll only ruin your hearing :-)

     
  • At February 02, 2006 6:04 pm, Blogger Denise said…

    The FUN thing about cross-stitch patterns is you colour them in with dangerously sharp coloured pencils first of all... and in very contrasting colours (ie not matching the colour they're keyed for, if you get what I mean) - this makes stitch counting MUCH easier. So use bright blue, red, green, yellow etc to colour in those little suckers, and all is plain sailing (well mostly ;)

    21 isn't so bad. Honest. No-one ever said you had to grow up :)

    See you at SnB! Yay!

     
  • At February 02, 2006 6:06 pm, Blogger Denise said…

    And I wasn't a mad party animal either - have only been drunk once in my life, never smoked, never done drugs, only had a couple of boyfriends, and have been married to the same boyfriend since I was TWENTY (we met at 17), didn't get my driver's licence until I was 24... if anything, I'm more crazy now than I was back then ;)

    So see, you're much more adventurous than me ;)

     
  • At February 04, 2006 5:28 pm, Blogger mumblingmonkey said…

    hey! happy birthday!

    (ok I know it is a day past in your time zone, but it is still your birthday here...)

    :)h

     
  • At February 05, 2006 12:39 am, Blogger Laura.Y said…

    Cute Mackers socks. and Happy Birthday!!!!

     
  • At February 06, 2006 5:57 am, Blogger yuvee said…

    Hi, I'm Yuvee and I'm 18, nil bf, never go clubbing. Does that makes you feel better, spidey? ;)
    Happy Birthday!!
    *go cast on for socks*

     

Post a Comment

<< Home