BeatleWear

knitting and the life I almost have around it

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

6 weird things

gee thanks bells :p is this your way of telling me to get my act together and post already?

i have been tagged. 6 weird things about myself. lets see if i can stop at six..

  1. i am hyper-sensitive to temperature. i used to think it was because i was pretty underweight for a long time but now i've grown a little more cushioning nothing has changed. if it gets above about 28 degrees C its too hot, and below 21 and its too cold. (strangely, i cast on a pair of thrummed mittens during the hottest week since 1968... but we do have a/c in the office and i was finding it a little cold).
  2. when i get sick, the glands around my neck and chin do not swell. this made for years of joy as a child when i would insist i was too sick to go to school and then my dad would check my glands and send me off in disgust at my attempted deceit. i didnt discover i was right about this til i got glandular fever when i was 15 and totally freaked out the doctor. i do however get one that swells and gets sore in my armpit to warn of incoming colds.
  3. i am terrible at taking compliments. i can handle ones about my knitting because usually it isnt my yarn or my pattern so i can say "its a brilliant pattern, so easy". i have never been able to handle compliments about my appearance. boys my own age tend to get royally told off for telling me i look 'hot' (HATE that word) because they dont know me and how dare they!! and women... i really dont trust and deflect it swiftly or go bright red or pretend not to hear. not that it happens that often but i do not handle it with good grace.
  4. i have never related very well to women. i was always a Strange Child and while i had girl friends i tended to be the butt of all the jokes. i could draw quite well and i was always cosied up to so i would illustrate other girls assignments.. until it was handed in and then i was dropped like a stone. by the time i got to high school i was seriously over the 'cool' crowd and pretty much just did my own thing and strangely ended up with some of the best female friends i've ever had. now that i've joined SnB and met other women i am a much happier person. even if one of my favouritist people ever happens to be old enough to be my mother, as i was informed over the weekend! friendship is ageless.
  5. i hate wearing shoes. i love shoes themselves but prefer to look at them, if i have a choice i'm always barefoot.
  6. i have an inner dialogue most of the time, and over the years this has developed a predictive side to it. as i get out of the shower i immediately see what it would be like if i slipped, where i would hit my head, which teeth would get knocked out, whether or not i'd survive.... morbid and everything but its very matter of fact. i cant help it, its just what my brain does. it doesnt scare me... except around small children and roads!
well there we are.

And here are a few photos i took at the merino show over the weekend.. the lovely knitting ladies and their display items, and then a sheep getting its little sweater pulled off. if anyone is curious i will explain this next time.
ciao for now
the tagged
Ms Spider xo

6 Comments:

  • At January 24, 2007 9:19 am, Blogger Bells said…

    you freak Ms Spider! You utter freak. ;-)

    From one former strange child to another.

     
  • At January 24, 2007 1:55 pm, Blogger DrK said…

    well that made me laugh out loud, esp the inner dialogue bit. i think perhaps its no coincidence either that the nicest women ive met are knitters :)

     
  • At January 24, 2007 3:23 pm, Blogger Shazmina Bendi said…

    A woman after my own heart! I am so number 6, and now that I work for a company where Safety is King, I have that inner dialigue ALL the time! Slipping and knocking out teeth is a consistent discussion with myself! :)
    ps Bells tagged me as well, but I am still trying to narrow my weirdness down to 6!

     
  • At January 24, 2007 6:06 pm, Blogger Taphophile said…

    Even though I know what is happening to that sheep, it still looks like it's being stuffed into a shredder.

     
  • At January 25, 2007 9:12 am, Blogger Denise said…

    I suspect that we all have some level of weird internal dialogue.. I know I do, anyway! I'm with you on the shoes front, and the girlsfriends thing too.

    Regarding taking compliments... some good advice I received was to graciously accept compliments by simply saying 'Thank you'. I'd felt uncomfortable about it all too, but manage a bit better now.

     
  • At January 27, 2007 12:28 am, Blogger AR said…

    You are weird! LOL. Just kidding. I do some of those things, I'm just not saying which ones. hehe

    The merino show looks like fun, can't wait to hear about it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home