BeatleWear

knitting and the life I almost have around it

Thursday, April 23, 2009

we have a guest!

Last week we moved an old mattress out of our carport to take it to the tip, and a rather startled possum ran out from behind it. He scooted up into the roof of the carport where we are storing some old doors and has been there for a week. every day or so I go and check he's there - i can usually find him from a bit of fur squished between the doors, but today was a special case.
I was going back inside after staking the peas and noticed a black lump.
then it uncurled.
When I got underneath I could see he was having a sleep and had slid down into the gap between roof and door.
priceless.

In other news, the wedding plans are coming along well. we now have a photographer, invitations and a hairdresser. Research of bridal magazines suggests that brides are always caucasian and do not come in a size larger than 12 (and the 12 are often referred to as 'plus sized. Hello, fashion industry? GET A GRIP) and this has been quite distracting. The bridesmaids dresses are sorted and next step is for me to weave stoles for them.
I've been knitting a lot and losing my mind a lot more.
Have now lost 4 kilos but have plateaued, much to my annoyance. I have best results from jogging but have the most excruciating calf pain for days afterwards despite stretching. I really want to be able to jog everyday but once those muscles hurt I just can't do it - it feels like my legs will collapse or explode. I cant even bend my legs and kneel without a great deal of pain. maybe i need a sports physio (Hooray! more expense!)
work has been very stressful. I'm on school break at the moment, but go back on tuesday. and I'm dreading it. I'd only just started to shake the feeling of desperation and now I have to go back. blech. (i still love the teaching, it's the whole stupid system that wears me down. Apparently I'm still far too idealistic. Once I have been beaten down til i have no hope of anything working properly I will find the job bearable, or so I'm told. sigh).

Anyway, the possum is cute!

Ms Spider xo

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

  • At April 23, 2009 4:37 pm, Blogger Leonie said…

    30 second full on, flat out sprint then 3 minute walk, repeat until half an hour is up, do this 3 times a week. Might be a little easier on the legs than a maintained set speed jog. Also been shown to help move the kilos. Something about the metabolism continuing to run at a higher rate even after you stop running. Good luck with the legs.

     
  • At April 23, 2009 7:53 pm, Blogger Taphophile said…

    Brides are mostly blonde and under 25, apparently. They also do not require or want sleeves in their dresses. What me? Read a bridal magazine? Oh, maybe one or two. :P

     
  • At April 23, 2009 11:14 pm, Anonymous 2paw said…

    Possums run across the roof and scare the willies out of us here.
    You arew very correct about how the Bridal industry perceives brides!!
    I think you have to persever and get a little bit of the idealism squshed and then come out the other sside, still idealistic, but slightly more realistic!! The system can be made to work for you, you just have to find a way to make it happen !!

     
  • At April 24, 2009 7:11 am, Blogger AMCSviatko said…

    Did you shave it while it was asleep? Did you? Did you?

    ;-)

     
  • At April 26, 2009 4:26 pm, Blogger My Five Sons said…

    Auuuw how cute! Hope it hasnt peed on anything!!
    You stick to your own ideas and you ll find that special niche in teaching!!!

     
  • At May 08, 2009 8:36 pm, Blogger Denise said…

    Unbelievably cute possum there!

     
  • At May 31, 2009 6:00 pm, Anonymous Monica said…

    Hey darlin.

    I assume you know about www.c25k.com ?

    Also: make sure you have good runners. ONLY for running. Be precious about them. http://www.therunnersshop.com.au/ if you don't!

    Also: hot hot bath after running. Gooooood. I got a nice bottle of Radox muscle soak from the shopping centre. Mmm. It's green and it's goooood.

    Also: http://www.youtube.com/user/RichPoley - self-massage for athletes on youtube. Works a treat!

    Also: yes to physio if you can afford it. Even if it's just one consult, and milk the buggers for as much advice as you can get out of them. If you have private health insurance, it's verrrry reasonable.

    Also: www.coolrunning.com - http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/237.shtml and http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/182.shtml in particular.

    :):):)

    Hope ya feelin better soon

    x

     

Post a Comment

<< Home