BeatleWear

knitting and the life I almost have around it

Thursday, May 31, 2007

who let the dog in?

Ok, so it's my first week on full duty of care (which means i'm responsible for the kids in the class). this is really good because it means i can be the authority figure... the kids dont feel like you have much influence if you need another teacher to babysit you all the time. It's also great because i dont have to show anyone my planning. i still talk about what i'm doing but i dont need every lesson signed off on a day before i teach it (yes, you're right. that WAS a massive pain in the patooty).
So far, so good. I am apparently far too easily swayed by a stressed out face - i doubt i will sleep much in my last week because i'll be marking all the work i've given extensions for. But i'm very happy, the kids like me, i like them and all is pretty darn good. Now, if i only had an income as well i'd be thrilled.

Harry has been visiting this week. This means i get up a little earlier to take him for his walk and he discovered my nicely dug through garden was ideal for burying things in - loam is so easy on the claws!He is helpful in terms of heat containment though (because how freaking cold is it at the moment?)

I have been spinning away and knitting away on and off. Here is some silky merino dyed by Rachel Meek (optim wool by any other name is just as shiny).Some Rachel Meek merino.some more Rachel Meek Silky Merino.And here is what i decided to do with it all... a top-down raglan sweater in stripes of bluey/greeny/purpley/opalescent 2ply handspun. The wool has great drape like this and the yarn is endlessly entertaining to knit with... what colour is it now?? I'm not sure what sort of sleeves to go with yet.. its so soft i could wear it as a tee. i am saving enough of the yarn from the body stripes to match into the sleeves.. but i'm up for suggestions as i'm really truly not sure. I'll probably knit the body quite long... i do not need my belly hanging out of another hand-knit.

I hope everyone is having a good one.

Over & out
Ms Spider xo

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

  • At May 31, 2007 9:07 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good luck with your prac. I never got any sleep either on internship: 8 weeks of no sleep: I was a zombie!! What beautiful spinning, the colours are lovely!! Hi to Harry, he looks very at home!!

     
  • At May 31, 2007 9:16 pm, Blogger Daisy said…

    That yarn is beautiful colours and I love the way it's knitting up!

     
  • At May 31, 2007 9:19 pm, Blogger AR said…

    Lucky you have Harry to keep you warm!

    All of the fibers and your knitting look so nice!

     
  • At May 31, 2007 10:16 pm, Blogger Denise said…

    Well done on the teaching front - I'm so glad things are going well for you! You're a natural, girl :D

    Spinning and knitting are, as ever, stunningly gorgeous!

    And yes, it's BLOODY COLD. WTF?!

     
  • At June 01, 2007 7:12 am, Blogger Taphophile said…

    It's all gorgeous - loving the stripes.

    Glad prac is going well. The skeiner has arrived and I'll put it together tonight. Will give it a test drive over the weekend.

     
  • At June 01, 2007 8:32 am, Blogger catsmum said…

    gorgeous yarn and ya gotta love those top down raglans. So far I've not made an actual adult sized one just a gazillion baby ones but still ... love the whole concept.

     
  • At June 03, 2007 8:02 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm so happy to hear that you are enjoying your prac - although, I heartily agree - some form of remuneration would be noice.

    I wish I had a "Harry". Jazza the spazza is a heat hog, and somehow manages so suck heat, rather than provide any.

    The spinning looks divine. I love how it turns out.

     
  • At June 05, 2007 7:54 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey you! it's zoya here, i really hope you remember me! i ran into alex in starbucks today, and got to thinking about you =) email me! zo-yo@hotmail.com

     
  • At June 10, 2007 8:54 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Heya

    This is Beck from Sydney.

    Yesterday I was at Worldwide Knitting In Public day in Sydney under the opera house.

    I picked up my long neglected clapotis that I am knitting with your pink grapefruit yarn that you dyed for me oh about a year ago. I am halfway through. Your yarn was universally admired by all present and the ball was passed around excitedly and there was many comments about how lovely it is.

    I just thought i would let you know.

    beck at randsclan dot com

     
  • At June 14, 2007 11:55 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey! I'm a (newbie) Canberra knitter who stumbled onto your blog when I was surfing around some local knitting blogs. I have thoroughly enjoyed it!

    In a spooky Canberra coincidence, I was in the orchestra for Queanbeyan Player's production of "Camelot", so was a bit surprised when I saw pics of your boyfriend and realised that I knew him!

    Thanks for sharing your lovely knitting.

     
  • At June 21, 2007 9:46 am, Blogger Kate said…

    I hope that the kids are treating you well and that you're having a great time with the teaching. Not much longer before the end of the term...

    I wanted to drop in and say thanks so much for the beautifully dyed yarn that Taph has made into matinee jackets. I've bagged the orange one, although it was an incredibly hard choice - they're all so gorgeous!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home