BeatleWear

knitting and the life I almost have around it

Friday, August 15, 2008

fail

So this afternoon I went to my Doctor to discuss the results of my blood test. Normal liver, good kidney function, normal thyroid... and yet. Apparently I fail at vitamin absorbtion. Big time.
My Iron levels were half what they should be, my B12 was at a 5th of what it should be and D barely registered at all. Dr was very composed but her micro-expression gave away a good deal, and now i get to have weekly injections of B12 until she's no longer concerned. It was the the most calm and composed internal "holy shite!" I have ever witnessed.

I'm in two minds about all of this.
Mind 1 says: Awesome! Just what you wanted! Something really simple and obvious and easy to fix. It explains the trouble sleeping, the difficulty concentrating, the lethargy, the headaches, the queasiness, the depression, confusion, dizziness. Dr says within three months of high dose supplements I should be a new woman.
Mind 2 says: ... I have been having all the above problems since I was seven. It's gone up and down but these have been my demons. So, how is it that my old doctor never even suggested any of these things? Have I been feeling like crap on a daily basis since I was a small child because my doctor overlooked a few things like vitamin levels? Am I on a reasonable dosage of happy pills that I don't need? Or, is this a mirage and while I'll feel better... it won't be the end of it.
Monkey's mind says: Awesome! This is the best news ever! Also, can we sue your old doctor for a million billion dollars and buy a castle to live in?

I'll get back to this whole thought process when I stop coughing my lungs up (did i mention I have laryngitis again? Yup. I'm just so much fun the people around me can't help dancing)

Current bus project: sock-it-to-me scarf from 101 designer one-skein-wonders in handspun silk/merino (fibre from EGMTK in Alchemy). It is now about four times this length but... well see above, including lethargy, roll your eyes and move on.

Peace out
Ms Spi-er (because I'm all out of D :s)

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • At August 15, 2008 10:49 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hope you are all Vitamined up soon. Love the 'D' joke!!!

     
  • At August 18, 2008 6:18 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    De-lurking to ask if they are going to do any follow-up to find out why your iron and vitamin levels are so low? One thing which crosses my mind (because I have it - I'm not a doctor, there could easily be any number of other explanations) is Coeliac Disease - there's a simple blood test, but whatever you do, make sure you don't change your diet at all until after all the tests are complete.

     
  • At August 19, 2008 6:32 pm, Blogger Denise said…

    REALLY REALLY glad you've got some positive blood test results!! Makes life SO much easier - I really hope the treatment makes a big difference.

    But yeah, important to find out WHY you're not absorbing your vitamins like a good little Vegemite too ...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home