BeatleWear

knitting and the life I almost have around it

Sunday, August 10, 2008

progress ain't always linear

Why hello! Thanks for stopping by.
There has been movement (besides the whole down-hill slide thing). Monkey has his sights set on a new job. I won't jinx it but it's truly perfect for his geekiness.
I went another whole week without killing or maiming anyone.
My grandmother turned 80. She's so gorgeous.
I bought a spinning wheel from Mandie (She my Ashford pimp, yo).
It's not as frivolous as it sounds. It had been the plan for quite a while. My little traveller, Charlotte (which came to me via the inimitable Taph), was a TAFE cast-off, and while perfectly functional she is a little rickety. There are odd screws that untwist and... well. She's had a good run and she's not going to miss out on use. But...
Thing is, I missed Horace. I loved my traditional, I really did. The classic shape, the size of the wheel. The overall sturdiness that doesn't make me worry when I get a good speed going that I might knock it over.
So when my tax return came through this year i did my research. I knew I wanted a traditional but I wanted a little more versatility. So I invested in a Lace flyer unit and a Jumbo flyer unit as well. And I can yet again direct you with confidence to Mandie should you have questions about any of the ashford range - the lady is a champ.
Yesterday I assembled the new wheel. I probably should have sanded and oiled it then and there but the temptation was too great to give her a spin so I whipped up one of my squirrel EGMTK fibre club packages. Retro-Specto merino/soy 120g, roughly aran 2-ply, 210 metres.
This baby runs like a DREAM. *drool*

This morning I sanded and oiled and assembled the two separate flyer units. Then we went to my grandmother birthday lunch and got kissed and made small talk and tried to ignore the fact that my cousins seem to think 'mid winter sunday lunch with gran' is a good event to wear a mini-skirt to. blech. teenage girls. *

This afternoon I attached the lace flyer and started on the latest offering from EGMTK fibre club - merino/silk Octopus' Garden' (click the pic to truly appreciate the insanity).Now I've spun lace before with the traveller and though it was a challenge, i managed it and was happy with the results.
I had no clue!

See you in the spring?

And apparently I need to mention kniteratti, my school knitting group. It rocks! We are so hard-core, we even share needles! Although the needles supply is seriously depleted so I am running a raffle to raise some funds. Here are a few things I've whipped up for the raffle in the last week.
Devil hat from Stitch n Bitch using panda Woolbale. A short-circuit scarf (that i did finish but forgot to photo off the needles) using 3 balls of Jet. Mohawk Hat from Domiknitrix, using Merino Spun and Katia Aspen (Monkey not included).

Now I seem to be working on another throat infection, which makes me very cranky-pants. It kind of relentless sometimes. Some days I get home, think about all the different ways in which I feel crappy and marvel that I yelled at no-one all day. Hope the little buggers appreciate it.

Ok, I shall sign off. But I should like suggestions for a name for my new wheel. Please? It doesnt feel right til I name her and I'm totally stumped.

Peace out
Ms Spider xo

* You may realise at this point that I spend a good chunk of my time teaching teenage girls and I do like them mostly. I just don't understand some of their behaviours and really didnt need to see my cousins vpl today.

ETA - apparently I suck at Ctrl+C or something. Mandie is now linked properly... sorry for the faux pas!

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • At August 10, 2008 9:29 pm, Blogger Michelle said…

    Um. Cool wheel and all, but you might want to change your Ashford pipmp's link from the current visible panty line one.

    Oh, I laughed. I really did!

    PS. Mmmm orange.

     
  • At August 11, 2008 9:30 am, Blogger twitchy fingers said…

    How about these names: (they all rhyme or have something to do with spinning related words)
    Willard (wheel)
    Willie (wheel)
    Crispin (spin)
    Liszt (twist)
    Sunshine (twine)
    Barney (yarn-ie??)
    Dingle (single)

    can you tell i need some kind of mental stimulation...

     
  • At August 11, 2008 11:25 am, Blogger TinkingBell said…

    Oh I like Crispin!! _ I had lots to suggest - but now they've gone!

    However, I did think it looked rather like a Quincy - no, I have no idea why, but there you are!

     
  • At August 11, 2008 3:24 pm, Blogger Trudi said…

    What about Free Willie? Willie for the wheel, and free cos you'll have no free time with all the spinning you will be doing.

    Mini skirts yesterday? Kids these days (I am feeling really old saying that) have no sense. It got to FIVE degrees yesterday at my place, and it snowed. If I had a mini skirt it would have gone around my neck to keep me warm, over all the other layers of jumpers, scarves etc I was wearing.
    Can't believe it, but I just wondered what their mothers were thinking letting them out of the house like that! Obviously being nearly 35 means I am starting to think like an old person, lol.

     
  • At August 15, 2008 3:03 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    fingers crossed for monkey. Love your new wheel!!! What a treat!! Sounds like (on the whole) things are going ok - hope you got the mousie & ant situation sorted!

    xoxox

     
  • At August 19, 2008 6:27 pm, Blogger Denise said…

    Love the new wheel!!

    I'm happy to put aside / buy up big at op shops for stuff for your class, just let me know what you need :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home