BeatleWear

knitting and the life I almost have around it

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Anything you Say-uri

Presenting the lush and lovely Sayuri sweater from Sensual Knits by Yahaira Ferreira.I finished it on Sunday morning and fell deeply in love.
I am less in love, however, with the fact that I cannot both pose for a photograph and take the photograph that I want."aw crap, you've got my butt in the shot, don't you?"
It is, of course, not Monkey's fault that it doesn't occur to him to fuss around to find the most flattering angle or backdrop. He rather likes my little (ha!) belly and so does not see a problem with taking photos that show it off.
He similarly has no problem with weird facial expressions that are the result of taking photos while I am explaining what I want."Monkey, if you are not careful I will look thiiiiiis big!"

Also, not being me, he doesn't think about framing the picture to best show off the garment or to make me look as svelte (and, lets face it, un-me) as possible. Sometimes having someone who loves you no matter what you look like is strangely frustrating, no?
I know we are all aware of this problem with socks, but there are ways around it. Generally, feet all look the same. Socks all looks similar. If what we see is not foot-shaped or sock-shaped we can assume there was an angle problem, a swelling problem or perhaps a gauge problem. And you can always pose them on your sock blockers, if you have them.
Bigger garments though? Those can be problematic.
In the past I have used the 'artistic i-might-be-blocking' type shot for when I have no photographer and little self-esteem.
Surplice Bodice Camisole by Joan McGowan-Michael
There is also the joy of having a dressmakers dummy on hand for some photos.
Back-to-School U-Neck Vest by Stefanie Japel
But using Arabella always seems like cheating to me. Anyone who has met me knows I am not built like that. When I use her for sewing there is adjusting and padding attached to get things right. Plus... I can't always make things that don't clash with the bright, bright red.

So I fall back upon old faithful - the awkward pose in a grubby bathroom mirror. Not all that glamorous really.
Specs:
I made no changes to the pattern except for a few less rounds of the linen stitch waist-band because I was getting a larger row gauge in that stitch.
The yarn is Naturally Yarns Merino et Soie 8 ply and it is DIVINE. I used just under 10 balls and there was only one join in the whole batch! It's lovely to work with, doesnt shed... just. gorgeous.
I got gauge on 5mm addis and then did the i-cord collar on 4.5mm dpns.
I love it.

Also finished a pair of frilly socks on Monday. They are so dorky but very fun. It's like wearing really nice knickers or something, they make me happy.

Went and had a blood test today to check for Coeliac's Disease. This is the most obvious explanation for... well... ALL of my health problems. I'm trying not to dwell, but I did an assignment on the disease in year 9 and I ASKED MY DOCTOR IF IT WAS POSSIBLE. HE SAID NO. Eight years later and the list of symptoms looks like I wrote a quick list of everything that bothers me in a week. Including weak tooth enamel!!!! BASTARD!

cough

sorry. I am trying not to be bitter... but seriously! Someone pass me some knitting, please.

Peace out
Ms Spider xo

Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

  • At September 11, 2008 12:59 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Only" 8 years? Apparently the average time for diagnosis is about 11 years. Sucks doesn't it. The only thing to say in your doctor's defence is that it's only relatively recently that the medical profession have woken up to the fact that Coeliac Disease is not very rare - approximately 1 in 100 have it. That's actually pretty common.

    I can't say I hope you're right, but if you are it'll explain a lot, and give you a way to sort it out. A gluten-free diet isn't that bad once you're used to it, and the health benefits are huge (if it's necessary).

    Good luck and let us know how you get on.

     
  • At September 11, 2008 1:07 am, Blogger m1k1 said…

    My daughter's CD test was negative, but she had been pretty much gluten free for some time (because it was obvious what was making her so unwell), so it was almost to be expected. It's the unsuspected traces of wheat extract they add to so much food that can set her off. But she has vetted everything in her pantry, only eats her own cooked meals (bummer if you want to eat out, though), and is feeling better (but still not 100%) and is not nearly so tired.
    Good luck with your search.
    Congratulations on all your knitted pieces. And lucky you with your doting Monkey.

     
  • At September 11, 2008 7:37 am, Blogger Melissa said…

    Sayuri look great, as do the socks. I don't think they are dorky, just really cute.

     
  • At September 11, 2008 10:24 am, Blogger TinkingBell said…

    Beeeeeyyyyooootiful! I love Sayuri and the socks are so fun - isn't it nice to have someone who loves you just exactly the way you are?

     
  • At September 11, 2008 2:23 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The sayuri and you both look gorgeous... I think Monkey may be right in this case, but only because most of us tend to be hypercritical of our own looks (especially when seeing photos!)

    Good luck with the testing. If it's not coeliac disease, you could still have allergies to wheat, gluten etc, and so a coeliac diet might help.

     
  • At September 12, 2008 9:23 am, Blogger kim tori said…

    The Sayuri sweater looks nice. I love the colour!
    And as for coeliac disease - well, it was a missed diagnosis for me as a baby. I had the symptoms and a referral to check for it, but the paediatrician said I wasn't eating enough fat. At 22, it was discovered that it actually was coeliac disease. Mistakes happen, especially with coeliac, as symptoms are so often 'non-specific'. Screening for coeliac has improved too since I was one. It's still frustrating though that it wasn't diagnosed then! If you've got any questions about it, send me an email and I might be able to help.

     
  • At September 12, 2008 11:07 am, Blogger AMCSviatko said…

    Two words: self timer.

    :-)

     
  • At September 13, 2008 1:08 pm, Blogger Denise said…

    The Sayuri is gorgeous, I'm not surprised you're besotted ;)

    Good luck on the test results ... so frustrating to have such a long time of no-one picking it up (if it is Coeliacs).

     
  • At September 28, 2008 6:56 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My husband has the same thing, a laundry list of symptoms that mirror coeliac but he tested negative. Nevertheless, the less gluten he eats the better he is, we suspect it is just a severe intolerance but not full blown coeliac. Hope you find a path that improves your wellness.

     
  • At November 28, 2008 10:26 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi,
    The Sayuri sweater looks nice. I love the colour! and your design is attractive

     

Post a Comment

<< Home