BeatleWear

knitting and the life I almost have around it

Thursday, July 05, 2007

rollin' with my homies

One ventured out into the cold this evening to Stitch n Bitch with Taph. It is cold today! The heaters in Starbucks are still on the blink and there's only so nimbly one can knit with fourteen and a half layers of clothing on.
We did have an excellent turn-out however.Having finished my lorna's laces socks, i have started on an original pattern that i am designing as a freebie for people who attend my heels and toes of socks workshop. Here is a sneak preview - I'm calling them 'Turtle Walk' as the lace pattern looks like turtle tracks in the sand. The yarn is my own hand-dyed sock yarn in Kelp Forest Variegated. It's an easier sock pattern than it appears, i can tell you :)

Here is how i spent the chilly day - spinning. After much discussion i am still at a loss as to what to name it. It looks tweedy but it isnt a tweed at all. It is very berry-esque but that's been done to death. I would call it damson wine but my rogue hoodie is in damson (rustic 12ply). Any thoughts fallen apon with cries of joy. It's 100g and about 300 metres, roughly equivilant to a 4ply, about 15 wpi. I know that most normal people are working at the moment and seeing the evidence of my vacationism must be frustrating... but i really did need a holiday, honest! and uni's back on the 16th so i'm enjoying it while i can :)

Well i have a lovely bottle of Petit Verdot open and i'm off to keep at this sock.

Peace out
Ms Spider xo

PS dont you all forget the creative fibre day this sunday at bus depot markets! YUM!

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

  • At July 06, 2007 9:05 am, Blogger TinkingBell said…

    Absolutely love those socks - please tell me the pattern will be available after the workshop - please! The wool is beautiful - I originally thought blood plum - bu really - how about grenache? or even Shiraz?

    Yum!

     
  • At July 06, 2007 9:08 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think your new yarn needs to be named after a good wine. It is certainly good weather for a nice red - perhaps rip off a famous wine name like Grange or 707, or perhaps stick with a varietal name like Cabernet Sauvignon, shiraz, or merlot.

     
  • At July 06, 2007 6:12 pm, Blogger Denise said…

    Was lovely to see you last night, Spidey - although we didn't much time to chat... it's so loud at Strabucks. Lots of new faces, last night!

    Hmm, like the wine name suggestions. You could also go with something like Cinnabar or Titian.

    What a great idea to have your own sock pattern to hand out for your class - love the turtle tracks!

    We'll be missing the fibre day at the market - Dotter's 16th birthday party happening all over the place that day ;)

     
  • At July 06, 2007 10:03 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your dyeing and spinning are beautiful!! The turtly sock pattern is great!! Very swirly!!

     
  • At July 07, 2007 1:05 pm, Blogger Georgie said…

    I'm with the wine reference - I immediately thought "pinot noir", althouhg its not so "noir- y"...pinot crush? The wine thing has definite merit.

    Love turtle walk, just one more reason to sign on for your class!

     
  • At July 07, 2007 8:29 pm, Blogger Michelle said…

    Definitely Pinot or similar wine reference. It's just lovely.

    I've been enjoying your blog! You knit such beautiful things and your spinning results in gorgeous yarns!

     
  • At July 13, 2007 1:01 pm, Blogger Neet said…

    It was lovely to meet you at SnB the other night Spidey! I was so impressed by your knitting and spinning... just gorgeous!!

    When is your sock workshop running? Do you need to have knitted socks before?

    I may see you tonight at the K1B1 opening... so i can ask you in person.

    Hmmm... if you haven't named your wool yet, Sangiovese is a nice light coloured red wine!

    I am back in the land of working modems... so I've been able to tend my blog. It's http://purplepurl.blogspot.com if you're interested in having a look.

    What's the etiquette for linking to other people's blogs in your blog entries? (eg I've put a link to this post of yours when I talked about SnB) Should you ask the person first, or is it generally ok to link to them without asking?

    Cheers!
    Juanita

     

Post a Comment

<< Home