BeatleWear

knitting and the life I almost have around it

Saturday, August 25, 2007

stupid cotton

Why does it take SO long to dry? what a pain.As you can see, Cambio is resting calmly (I use this towel for blocking a lot, dont i?). I, of course, am a little less calm. A word to the wise: if you are in the habit of spinning excess water out of handwashed knitwear in the washing machine... don't do it to Cambio if the beads you managed to find were a little brittle. It's not obvious... well to me it is but i'm the Queen of Obsessivia (and on the city council for Passiveaggressivia) and it's going to annoy me that i'm missing a few beads. i may be able to sew them on.. but i dont know if it will look neat enough to be worth it.
So, Cambio is drying. I finished it after a marathon of Medium (i want her family) and am a little antsy because before i can wear it i have to get some hook and eye tape and some velvet ribbon to reinforce the edges. I'm not about to wear it without those things - i know as well as anyone how temperamental cotton can be when you give it a chance to droooooooop. But i cant decide if i ought to sew those things on by hand or by machine. Advice would be appreciated!

While waiting for Cambio to dry, i pulled out some silky mohair. holy mother, this stuff is glossy! I'm going for a fingering weight 2-ply. are you surprised? it's just the weight i find easiest to knit with. anything bulkier and i really struggle to do anything with it.

And i responded to the siren song of some sock yarn i dyed a few weeks ago and then couldnt part with. it's a new colourway that i have yet to name. And its a new sock pattern i'm nutting out as well. so, i'll keep you all posted.

The flu is pretty much in retreat. i'm still snuffley and tire easily but i feel SO much better. Actually, it's kind of doing my head in - i feel great and then get exhausted halfway through doing the groceries! Thanks so much to all the well wishers. It's been a little weird having my parents out of the state while i'm so sick... monkey is a great nurse but sometimes you just need your daddy, you know what i mean?

Ok, off to glare at Cambio some more and knit my un-named and delicious sock yarn.

the cheerier
Ms Spider xo

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • At August 25, 2007 10:27 am, Blogger Denise said…

    I hope the glaring rays get Cambio dry quick smart! Bugger about some of the beads breaking off :/ I'm sure no-one will notice except for you (not that it's a huge consolation, I know). I reckon some fine beading thread would work to replace the missing beads.

    Love the new sock yarn colour - hmmm, Indigo Sea?

    Very glad to hear you're on the mend. Found of last night that Dotter has tonsilitis, so she's on anti-biotics...

     
  • At August 25, 2007 10:59 am, Blogger TinkingBell said…

    Lovely yarn - glad you're starting to feel beter - I'd never notice the beads - but then I'm the Queen of 'It'll do'
    Colour - Sea cave?

     
  • At August 25, 2007 5:48 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    love the new sock yarn - infact - I'll need to keep a keen eye on your ebay store methinks, my plan is to give a few special people a pair of socks for xmas, knitted out of faaabulous spidey yarn.

    That mohair is divine, but I can't imagine it being anything but - you have impeccable taste my friend.

    hope you're feeling better :)

     
  • At August 26, 2007 12:07 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Very boogelly about the broken/mising beads. I reckon you could sew some on: it looks very exciting still!!

     
  • At August 26, 2007 8:16 pm, Blogger Taphophile said…

    Oooh, Cambio is tops! Bugger about the beads - sewing on should work. I'd hand stitche the tape and then machine with a longish straight stitch for added strength if needed.

    Sorry you've been crook.

     
  • At August 27, 2007 4:51 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Spidey,

    A word of warning about that hook and eye tape. I have a Cambio in red mohair and I think that hook and eyes on knitwear on a busty gal are about as useful as an ashtray on a motorcycle. If I could do it all again, I would just put a pretty clasp (maybe beaded to match) at the neck, cos I rarely do mine up all the way down anyway.

    Best of luck

     

Post a Comment

<< Home