BeatleWear

knitting and the life I almost have around it

Monday, December 03, 2007

again with the 'flu??

So it would appear. At least i caught it on Sunday before it had really knocked me over and started taking cold and flu tablets then. Went to work this morning to take my classes and leave lessons for tomorrow... and teaching was a struggle. Lots of kids away on a camp though so at least i didnt have to shout.
Even though this was the only way Monkey would let me go to work today i still feel quite pleased with myself for recognising my limitations. Shame to lose a day's pay though. Hope i won't need to take Wednesday too :p and i need to go to a damn SnB soon... so i hope i'm ok Thursday.

Had a massive freak-out at the end of last week: got a letter from the uni saying i didnt have enough points to graduate. This totally floored me since i thought i had sorted it. Of course, by the time i got the letter, everyone at the UC who is anywhere near useful had gone home so i didnt get to sort it out 'til today.
When i started my degree it was a split/double degree: BA/BEd. Then they re-me-jiggered (technical term) it about a year in so that all courses were now worth three points instead of four and unless you had already started it the degree didnt exist. This has made for a very awkward four years. And there was a great deal of confusion in regards to which units anyone should be doing... since the degree didnt exist. AND all the education units are so shambolic that they get re-written basically every semester... so i did end up taking the same units (badly reworked) once or twice.
To cut a long story short, I have enough points to get my BEd this year. This means i CAN take my permanency next year, get a real income and start doing what i want to do officially. I can also take ONE more unit (because i need ONE measly point), wherever i like on whatever i like next semester and be awarded my BA next July. This seems smart in theory but i might wait and see if I get a placement at Lyneham next year: i know the school and the staff and the students and reckon i could cope with a little extra work if i was there. If i get somewhere random like Calwell.. maybe not so much.

Those of you scanning my jibberish looking for something interesting, the breakdown of the above paragraph is 1. Uni is stupid, 2. Spidey is stupid and 3. Spidey is graduating this year.

I have been knittin but i need to be sleeping now. Might update tomorrow.

Peace out,
Ms Spider xo

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

  • At December 04, 2007 2:14 am, Blogger Donna Lee said…

    That would really suck if they didn't let you graduate. I think they should leave you alone just for putting up with all the bull. I am fighting a chest cold that won't make me sick enought to stay home but makes me miserable to be at work. Yay for winter.

     
  • At December 04, 2007 5:51 am, Blogger DrK said…

    ugh academic administrative nightmare. what a horror. i am glad that its ok in the big picture and YAY for graduating. and being able to do what you really want to do. i hope that this includes teaching lots of 12 year olds to knit socks :)

     
  • At December 04, 2007 7:14 am, Blogger Janet McKinney said…

    Congratulations on graduating - and for starting the wonderful place of "being a teacher".

     
  • At December 07, 2007 10:33 am, Blogger Denise said…

    Oooh too scary about the units and degree crap - glad it's sorted - 1 more point, ugh, what a pain. Can you do something FUN like fibre arts, or does it have to be something within the Education course?

    Hope you're on the mend, flu is no fun :(

     

Post a Comment

<< Home