BeatleWear

knitting and the life I almost have around it

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

resuming transmission in 3, 2, 1...

And we're back!

first up, I'd like to say a big thankyou, both for tolerating a post so out of character for this blog and for being so supportive about it. Now I'm not saying I never winge, but that was really... big for me. And I was fully prepared to lose friends over it. But I was going to give myself an ulcer not getting it all off my chest. And I am both surprised and cheered by the general rally-around. Really, I know some amazing women, I really do. Just such a pity that the odd few can leave us all looking petty.

Ok. /shake it out\

Knitting!
First up. Lovely Bec from work won a promotion at another school so I had to whip something up for her. Sadly, the divine creature has a most unfortunate allergy to wool and some other animal fibres... so I had to spike the creative fires. (she faints if she wears wool!)
And I dyed some Zhivago (50% Tencel/ 50% Acrylic) with some cotton dyes I've been experimenting with. And knocked up a 'my so called scarf' with it. She was thrilled. I also made a little flower brooch out of the same yarn but neglected to snap it.
Also failed to snap yarn prior to knitting but did dye another skein so you can perve on that instead. Tis my pet currently.

Also finished my Surplice Bodice Cami from Knitting Lingerie Style. I used Moda Vera Jaclyn (which is basically Zhivago... are we sensing a theme yet?). It fits really well and I love it but it is of course too cool to wear it now. Next spring?

Then in a fit of guilt i thought i ought to recompense my father for being quite instrumental in the transport of large boxes of yarn after previously mentioned attention-lapse on graysonline.com.
So I made him a vest out of Jet. He is very pleased with it (not that you'd know it here) It's for him to wear at the farm while doing all the various things he does (which he really ought to leave to someone younger with two functioning legs). If i were to go by his posing, however, I would assume he does a lot of standing around with something draped over his shoulder. strange man. (Well, I had to get it somewhere).

Then i decided i needed something for me (again) and cast on some socks for bus knitting. Since school went out on Friday I have neglected them but i shall return. They are Oblique Openwork from Sensational Knitted Socks in the Knittery's cashmere/merino sock yarn (Moses Fire). They feel gorgeous and look gorgeous.
Of course my interest in socks resumes after SSoS ends. :p typical. What can I say? I have a short but furious attention span.

I also started the Affair to Remember skirt from Annie Modessit's Romantic Hand-Knits.... You know, the saucy one on the cover? I am using red Zhivago (again, you cry?) and am powering through. I am not wholly convinced that it's a happy chappy. One of those things I wont know for sure until it's cast off, blocked and worn... with the right shoes. Wish me luck?

And not to be bored... now I'm on holiday finally... I'm spinning again as well.
Lush or what!? This lovely merino is going to be plied against some slightly less bright purpley-mauve to make a light 2-ply sock yarn ( i think. So far the fibre agrees but it can become temperamental so be cautious)

Ok, that's enough for now. I've got a skirt to bully.

Peace out,
Ms Spider xo

Labels: , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

  • At April 16, 2008 10:01 pm, Blogger m1k1 said…

    I know you don't know me, but I'm so glad you're back. The great thing I have found about blogdom is the opportunity to have a bit of a rant, knowing that friends will always be accepting, and that there are a huge number of those friends.

     
  • At April 16, 2008 10:18 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh so much knitting and dyeing!! You must be feeling very well again!! Love the top, really gorgeous, and the socks and I just took the skirt book back to the Library!! Your dad looks very serious in his new vest!!

     
  • At April 17, 2008 7:46 am, Blogger LynS said…

    Nice to have you back, Ms Spider. Teaching can be exhausting, emotionally even more than physically, so take care of yourself. I'm currently knitting (a vest for my much-indulged grand-daughter) with some cheerful blue /aqua 12 ply you dyed that was part of Taphophile's bag swap loot for me. Loving its assertive brightness.

     
  • At April 17, 2008 9:01 am, Blogger TinkingBell said…

    Oh - pretty productiveness!! How gorgeous that is - I like the way Zhivago feels (the OLD Zhivago) - my LYS has a clearance basket I fondle, but I keep buying the odd balls of clearance Jo Sharp DK instead - in colourse for felted penguins, hedgehogs and squirrels - I have a short attention span!

    Lovely to have you back!

     
  • At April 17, 2008 6:09 pm, Blogger My Five Sons said…

    Lovely to see you back and much happier!!!
    Some wonderful handwork happening too,love that Knittery colourway, Ive been starring at the Autumn one!!

     
  • At April 21, 2008 5:08 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sometimes a good rant is needed (particularly when people are playing petty games).

    So much lovely knitting since then. Am in love with with your Surplice Bodice Cami, it looks so pretty.

     
  • At April 24, 2008 12:51 pm, Blogger DrK said…

    (snap - almost!) i have just started yarn's swirly girl socks in knittery moses fire and its the most divine colours ever! good to see you are as productive as ever :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home