BeatleWear

knitting and the life I almost have around it

Sunday, March 02, 2008

the weekend just 'flu by

So, yes, full-blown, two-days-of-fever, chills-and-aches, cough-your-lungs-up flu hit me on friday. Awesome! I made it to work and through roll call... and managed to hang around for about 40 minutes before my denial was overtaken by the realisation that the fever was causing me to lose split-seconds of consciousnous and that even sitting hurt because the chair had to actually touch me and everything hurt.
So i went home. Didn't think about a taxi until after I'd been sitting at a bus-stop in the wind for 20 minutes... and Monkey called and said "why the hell are you catching a bus????" (I did mention that stupidity was a symptom of flu, right?)

The rest of the day is a little blurry, but i do remember the phone call from the vet, letting me know that (despite getting three people to sex him on two different occasions) Winston is a girl-bunny. And we're bloody lucky she wasnt up the duff.
So. My buns are now desexed and not as homosexual as i thought. I had always thought Winnie (now Winifred, Duchess of Cardigan) had a pretty face, but Monkey is now overwhelmed by how female she looks. Perception is a funny thing.
They are healing up nicely, and apart from blatant chair theft when the sun is in the right spot, we've been having a nice time recovering together.

Yesterday Monkey went out for the second Saturday in a row to go car shopping. And came home in this. I am very pleased with him. It is a Toyoto Corolla Seca (i really wanted to type Toyota Shmenennne Haanneennaane but thought it would increase the dopiness of the thing I'm about to say) and it's RED. I SO need a matching sweater... not that it's my colour. I already have matching shoes.... For those of you who don't already know: i don't drive. After years of freak outs I've finally narrowed it down to this. I get many migraines and the bit before where you get all dizzy and half blind and your depth perception completely vanishes... happens to me two or three times a week with no warning. I bump into people and objects, but the idea of this happening while behind a wheel scares the bejeezus out of me... i used to call this a phobia but i dont actually think it's irrational. So now i'm trying telling people the whole story for a while. it has nothing to do with being too lazy to get my licence. It is a quality of life issue. This said, Monkey does most of the driving for us (i am including in the list of drivers, not me, but our parents and friends). I do however share petrol costs and am splitting the costs involved in the new car. It is our car. I just won't be driving it anytime soon.

(apologies for that long explanation, I've been copping it about the not driving thing since i was about 12 - grew up on a farm and that was when Dad taught me but i was never comfortable - and i just wanted all the facts out there so if anyone decides to give me a hard time about it at least i can't argue that you didnt have all the facts)

((Also. I may be feeling a lot better, I am however still coughing every three minutes and have only just got my voice back so i'm taking a day off. The rant was a giveaway, right?))

The other thing i did this weekend (in between comas) was finish knitting and seam my Origami Cardi. Excuse the three days of 'flu and two days without washed hair-ness of the pic, excitement was not to be overcome by vanity. Anyone who is looking here to see how i look rather than my knitting will like me even more for looking bad... right? Nothing like someone else looking a mess to make you feel chic?Anyway. I used Totem in 4239 (i think, Monty keeps eating my ball bands). I used just under 10 balls but it was close and i had to knit the sleeves to 15 inches before decreasing instead of 18. They dont seem a bad length - i would block them longer but it would make the pattern-stitch mismatched. Like most people say, the back is a little odd. I don't mind the length, i think it's the unfinished feeling the sides have that bothers me. I do like it though, it's a cute pattern, quite fun and sensational yarn. I will wear it heaps teaching, it's exactly the kind of layering i need nearly all year.

I feel like i've forgotten to say something very important. I really felt like i was dying on friday, that weird chills, jelly, shake thing that feels like just maybe you're having a heart attack... so maybe that impressed on my mind that i had left so many things unsaid?

ah well, c'est la vie (and tomorrow, c'est la sick day, so if i remember....)

Peace out
Ms Spider xo

Labels: , , , , ,

9 Comments:

  • At March 02, 2008 10:38 pm, Blogger Michelle said…

    I always thought Winston looked a bit, well, feminine. Might have been the way he/she carried a handbag. Glad you worked it out before there were extra bunnies to feed though!

    Origami cardi is amazing! Awesome! The colour really suits you (and yes, I was so taken by the knitting I didn't notice how flu-ridden you looked).

    Hope you feel better soon! Enjoy the passenger-ing in the beaut red car!

     
  • At March 02, 2008 11:49 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice car and nice sweater!

    I don't drive either, but I have no better excuse than that I never learned. I hope to rectify that someday soon.

     
  • At March 03, 2008 8:17 am, Blogger Georgie said…

    Phew, close call on the bunnies.

    Spunky car, spunky cardi! Hope you're feeling better after another day or two off....

     
  • At March 03, 2008 11:08 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sorry to hear you are sick, hope you are better soon. A few times I went to school when I shouldn't have: too much dedication is a bad thing!!
    Nice red car.
    Even nicer is your cardigan, I love the colour and they style is perfect!!
    Glad the bunnies are well, I love their sticky-uppy ear picture!!

     
  • At March 03, 2008 11:49 am, Blogger Olivia said…

    Your reason for not driving makes perfect sense. Inconvenient, but sensible. And the cardie looks fantastic!

     
  • At March 03, 2008 5:32 pm, Blogger Bells said…

    that cardi is lovely. Good job!

    Get well soon!

     
  • At March 03, 2008 8:20 pm, Blogger TinkingBell said…

    B3eeeeewwwwwwdiful Cardi - love it!! And I had a guinea pig everyone thought was a boy. Turns out she wasn't!

    Looking forward to catching up in a week or so!!
    Cheers

     
  • At March 03, 2008 11:26 pm, Blogger Denise said…

    Hope you're feeling better, sounds like a bad flu!

    LOL - VERY lucky on the bunny front! Phew!

    The car is very cute - so nice to have something newer that looks pretty - and I completely understand the whole not driving deal - there is certainly a lot of pressure on people to drive, but I have several friends (you included!) who don't drive for very sensible and fine reasons. The main problem is Canberra's shite bus service, really.

    And what can I say about the cardigan? REALLY gorgeous, the colour is stunning, and honestly, given the flu and all, you look pretty damn good! Rest up :)

     
  • At March 04, 2008 6:20 am, Blogger Daisy said…

    Eeek, hope you're feeling better!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home