BeatleWear

knitting and the life I almost have around it

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

how do i do nothing again?

Well.
i think i have what i like to call a Uni Hangover. This is where the spider cannot sleep or eat properly, and feels inexplicably guilty doing... anything. It is quite odd. Have resorted to whispering "no more deadlines you idiot" to myself, which has the added bonus that everybody thinks i've lost it and is leaving me alone. always a plus. Especially fun in the frozen food aisle of the supermarket if you sort of sing it and wring your hands.

ToD was supposed to visit me today, but his computer is sick and it looks terminal. I'd suggest chicken soup but it might stuff up his funky wireless keyboard.

So i went downtown all of my own accord. I mean, what else was i to do? i am stumped. Also should tell you i have a new favourite shut-down. (Point of information - i live in this little place just outside of Canberra. It's... well... umm. Archaic. and life for many seems to be a constant ebb and flow between centrelink and the bottle shop. It's almost rural... but not. It's almost a city... but not. It is a town that is completely dissilusioned. All the women my age are on their second kid to a second father and men have nothing to do but try to impregnate other women.)

So here is the shut down. You raise one eyebrow and lift sunglasses (if applicable) and say (very bored) "Maybe you should go back to your rock and evolve." Also this works better if the person you are telling off is familiar with the theory of evolution. But usually, in my home town, big words are enough of a turn-off so it's win-win.


And i went to a sweet little op-shop and bought... these! to the untrained eye they may appear to be pillow-cases (designed by people on acid) but No my friends! folly! these are in fact future WIP bags... or linings for knitted bags. cute or what? and theres just enough fabric for either. and an added bonus, there isnt enough to make a shirt out of (i have a tendency to get exciteable with vintage stuff... whether it suits me or not. especially not.) the green one makes me think of Laura's as yet unlined bag... and i got these and a pair of earrings for... $1! i don't know why, but old people like me.

i also ordered some more yarn. Eck. i know. i don't know why, but i appear to be nesting. this is the third lot of yarn i'll have purchased in a month and my stash is well.. huge. growing. am i the only one who does this? It's cotton from bendigo mill (no website) in a dark lavender to make this. i know, calmer is not the same as 100% cotton 8ply but i cannot afford $154 + p&h for a sweater. I just can't. My cotton cost me $20... and i'll have enough left over to make something for the BFGs new nephew, Frederick. It is a very deep purple, but if i think it's too effeminate i'll overdye it navy or something.

So. Queen of Wonderment is coming by tomorrow to scour the op-shops and decide on what clothing i'm sewing her for summer.

Of to watch House and continue on my Mums lacy heart scarf (guilt knitting i tells ya).

4 Comments:

  • At November 10, 2005 2:15 am, Blogger mumblingmonkey said…

    spider you are hilarious! and i love the pillowcases.

     
  • At November 10, 2005 7:49 am, Blogger Daisy said…

    No no, acquiring an enormous stash is compulsory for knitters! Go for it!

     
  • At November 10, 2005 5:11 pm, Blogger Laura.Y said…

    ah the good ol' uni days..:) I love those fabrics u just got, there's nothing like it here. Btw, I just found the just the right shade of hot pink lining for the bamboo bag. woohoo! gonna line it soon..:) Sounds like u getting stash maniac just like the rest of us..:D

     
  • At November 11, 2005 1:32 pm, Blogger おにぎり said…

    isn't doing nothing horrible. (unless it's sitting in a cafe drinking coffee doing nothing with friends kind of thing) more tiring than doing something I think. lol. go uni holidays go :D

     

Post a Comment

<< Home